Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in August.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Sugar Land Skeeters
HITTER: Jose Siri, OF
- August Stats: 25 G, .363 BA/.405 OBP/.696 SLG, 11 2B, 4 3B, 5 HR, 24 RBI, 5 SB, 162 wRC+
Siri started the season hot but he put up his best month in August posting an OPS over 1.100 with a 162 wRC+. He showed off his power too, posting a .333 ISO. He has put together a really good season (125 wRC+) and deserved a major league opportunity somewhere.
PITCHER: Peter Solomon, RHP
- August Stats: 5 G, 2.30 ERA, 27.1 IP, 20 H, 7 ER, 11 BB, 30 SO
Solomon has been pretty solid all year and he put up another strong month in August posting a 2.30 ERA over 5 starts. He has continued to start, which leads me to believe the Astros have plans for him to start at the big league level. Overall he has 104 K in 89 innings this season.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Corey Julks, OF
- August Stats: 25 G, .318 BA/.354 OBP/.607 SLG, 7 2B, 8 HR, 15 RBI, 3 SB, 151 wRC+
Julks, drafted out of the University of Houston, had a monster month of August posting a 151 wRC+ and crushing 8 HR. Overall this season he is hitting .296 with 20 2B, 12 HR in 70 games for the Hooks. Another good outfield performance in the Astros system.
PITCHER: Jimmy Endersby, RHP
- August Stats: 5 G, 2.59 ERA, 24.1 IP, 25 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 20 SO
Endersby was signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2020 draft and has already made it up to AA. In August he put up a strong months posting a 2.59 ERA in 24.1 innings. Overall he has a 3.84 ERA with 94 K in 84.1 innings this season.
A+: Asheville Tourists
HITTER: J.C. Correa, INF
- August Stats: 212 G, .344 BA/.364 OBP/.531 SLG, 9 2B, 3 HR, 16 RBI, 138 wRC+
Correa has consistently hit all season long and August was no different. In 22 games he posted a 138 wRC+ while hitting .344 with a .531 SLG. Overall this season he is hitting .323 with a 138 wRC+ between Low-A and High-A.
PITCHER: Misael Tamarez, RHP
- August Stats: 4 G, 2.18 ERA, 20.2 IP, 15 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 33 K, 42.3 K%
Tamarez was flat out dominant during the month of August striking out 33 in 20.2 innings while walking just 4. He also posted a 2.18 ERA in August. The 21 year old has 86 K in 58.2 innings this season.
A: Fayetteville Woodpeckers
HITTER: Michael Sandle, OF
- August Stats: 21 G, .305 BA/.374 OBP/.610 SLG, 6 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR, 16 RBI, 4 SB. 158 wRC+
Sandle was a 10th round pick in this year’s draft but has came in red hot posting a 158 wRC+ in August. He has shown off his power and speed and, so far, has been one of the most productive bats from the 2021 draft.
PITCHER: Alex Santos, RHP
- August Stats: 3 G, 2.77 ERA, 13.0 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 6 BB, 18 K
Santos has had a solid first full season in the Astros system. In August he posted a 2.77 ERA in 3 games and struck out 18 over 13 innings. Overall the 19 year old has a 3.35 ERA with 44 K in 37.2 innings.