Another day of minor league baseball is in the books and you can see all the Astros affiliates results below.
AAA: Sugar Land Skeeters (40-29) won 10-8 (BOX SCORE)
The Skeeters jumped out to a big lead early putting up 7 runs in the 2nd on a Shaver 2 run single, Sierra 3 run HR, Jones RBI single and Dawson sac fly. Solomon started and went 4.1 innings allowing 6 runs. The Skeeters picked up 3 more in the 4th on a Dawson 2 run single and Sierra RBI single. McKee allowed 2 runs to make it 10-8 but then the bullpen settled down. James, Garza and Blanco all had scoreless outings to close it.
Note: James has a 1.69 ERA with 6 K in 5.1 innings in AAA.
- Pedro Leon, SS: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB, SB
- Jake Meyers, CF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Taylor Jones, LF: 1-for-4, R, RBI, 2 BB
- J.J. Matijevic, 1B: 2-for-6, R, 2 2B
- C.J. Hinojosa, DH: 2-for-6, R
- Ronnie Dawson, RF: 4-for-4, 2 R, 2B, 3 RBI
- Alex De Goti, 3B: 1-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Colton Shaver, C: 1-for-5, R, 2 RBI
- Miguelangel Sierra, 2B: 2-for-5, R, HR, 4 RBI
- Peter Solomon, RHP: 4.1 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Colin McKee, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Josh James, RHP: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Ronel Blanco, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (32-40) won 7-2 (BOX SCORE)
Brown started for the Hooks and pitched pretty well striking out 6 over 4.1 innings while allowing just 1 run. Adolph put the Hooks on the board in the 2nd inning with a 2 run HR. Costes added an RBI single in the 5th to go up 3-1. Tejada closed out the 5th inning getting the last two batters. The offense got another run in the 7th on a Salazar RBI single. In the 9th the offense added some insurance on a Costes 2 run single and Adolph sac fly. Record closed it out allowing 1 run over the final 4 innings.
Note: Brown has a 2.89 ERA with 27 K in 18.2 IP in July.
- Corey Julks, CF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Joe Perez, 3B: 1-for-5, R
- Scott Manea, 1B: 2-for-4, R, BB
- David Hensley, SS: 3-for-5, 2 R, SB
- Marty Costes, RF: 3-for-5, 2B, 3 RBI
- Cesar Salazar, C: 2-for-3, R, RBI, 2 BB
- Ross Adolph, LF: 2-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Hunter Brown, RHP: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Felipe Tejada, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Joe Record, RHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K (WIN)
A+: Asheville Tourists (29-40)
Game 1 - won 9-8 (BOX SCORE)
This was completion of a game that started on Friday. Abreu put the Tourists on the board with a solo HR in the 3rd. In the 4th, they got 3 more runs on a Holderbach 2 run HR and an Arias solo HR. Freure took over when this game started and ended up going 5 innings allowing 3 runs with 9 strikeouts. He was relieved by Horrell who allowed 5 runs, all unearned. The Tourists went into the 8th down 8-4 and got one run on a Valdez solo HR. In the 9th, the Tourists rallied for 4 runs on a Whitcomb 2 run double and a walk-off 2 run single from Berryhill.
Note: Freure has 65 K in 47.1 innings this season.
- Shay Whitcomb, SS: 1-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Wilyer Abreu, RF: 3-for-3, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI, BB
- Enmanuel Valdez, 3B: 2-for-5, R, HR, RBI
- Luke Berryhill, 1B: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- J.C. Correa, DH: 1-for-4, R
- Alex Holderbach, C: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Bryan Arias, 2B: 2-for-3, 2 R, HR, RBI, BB
- Cody Orr, LF: 3-for-4, R
- Matt Ruppenthal, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- R.J. Freure, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 9 K
- Michael Horrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Chandler Casey, RHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K (WIN)
Game 2 - lost 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Melendez started game 2 and went 3.2 scoreless innings striking out 4. He was relieve by Moclair who allowed a run in his one inning of work. Whitcomb tied the game in the 6th with an RBI double. The Crawdads got a run off of Sprinkle in the 7th to go up 2-1 and the offense was unable to respond as they dropped game 2.
Note: Sprinkle has 53 K in 26 innings this season.
- Shay Whitcomb, DH: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Freudis Nova, SS: 1-for-2, 2 BB
- J.C. Correa, 3B: 2-for-3, R, 2B, SB
- Jaime Melendez, RHP: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Mark Moclair, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jonathan Sprinkle, RHP: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
A: Fayetteville Woodpeckers (32-40) won 2-0 (BOX SCORE)
Taveras started for the Woodpeckers and pitched really well tossing 5 scoreless innings with 5 strikeouts. The offense got on the board in the 6th on Brewer and Martinez RBI singles. Santos went the last 4 innings and didn’t allow a hit or run while striking out 4 and picking up the 2-0 win.
Note: Santos has a 3.86 ERA with 21 K in 21 innings this season.
- Justin Dirden, CF: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Jordan Brewer, RF: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Victor Mascai, 1B: 1-for-2, 2 BB
- Yohander Martinez, 2B: 2-for-3, RBI
- Diosmerky Taveras, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Alex Santos, RHP: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (WIN)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
SL: Nivaldo Rodriguez (6.75 ERA) - 7:05 CT