Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in April.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Round Rock Express
HITTER: Yordan Alvarez, OF
- April Stats: 21 G, .347 BA/.443 OBP/.867 SLG, 6 2B, 11 HR, 29 RBI, 12 BB/17 SO
Alvarez did exactly what you wanted to see from him this season. He was solid last year in AAA but destroyed the ball this April posting a 1.310 OPS in 21 games. He also had a 13.6 BB% and 19.3 K%, Overall he had a 200 wRC+. Alvarez will probably make his MLB debut at some point this season.
PITCHER: Corbin Martin, RHP
- April Stats: 3 G, 1.80 ERA, 15.0 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 7 BB, 18 SO
Great start to the season for Martin. He moved fast through the system making it to AAA after being just drafted in 2017. Martin made three starts in April posting a 1.80 ERA with 10.8 K/9. He also had a K% of 31.6%. I’m excited to see what he does the rest of the season.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Chas McCormick, OF
- April Stats: 20 G, .288 BA/.466 OBP/.424 SLG, 2 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 12 RBI, 21 BB/9 K, 3 SB
McCormick built on a solid AA debut from last year with a really good April. He hit .288 and had a .466 OBP. This included an insane 23.9 BB% and 10.2 K%. Overall he had a 154 wRC+.
PITCHER: Tyler Ivey, RHP
- April Stats: 4 G, 1.13 ERA, 16.0 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 23 SO, .169 BAA
Ivey has been great since being drafted in 2017 and April of this year was no different. He pitched in 4 games allowing just 10 hits in 16 innings. He finished with a great 1.13 ERA and 30.2 K-BB%.
A+: Fayetteville Woodpeckers
HITTER: Bryan De La Cruz, OF
- April Stats: 21 G, .341 BA/.400 OBP/.576 SLG, 10 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 11 RBI, 4 SB
I’ve been waiting for De La Cruz to breakout and this year may finally be it. The 22 year old hit .341 in April with a .976 OPS. He finished with 14 XBH in 21 games and struck out just 16.8% of the time. Overall he had a 171 wRC+.
PITCHER: Parker Mushinski, LHP
- April Stats: 5 G, 2.33 ERA, 19.1 IP, 17 H, 5 ER, 5 BB, 30 K, .221 BAA
Another 2017 draftee on the list. Mushinski dominated in April posting a phenomenal 36.1 K% and 30.1 K-BB%. He also had a 50.0% groundball rate to go along with a 2.07 xFIP.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Jonathan Lacroix, OF
- April Stats: 20 G, .284 BA/.380 OBP/.448 SLG, 4 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 4 SB
Another draft pick from 2017 on the list. April wasn’t a great offensive month for the River Bandits but Lacroix finished with a .828 OPS in 20 games, which lead the team.
PITCHER: Nivaldo Rodriguez, RHP
- April Stats: 6 G, 6-0, 1.23 ERA, 36.2 IP, 19 H, 5 ER, 7 BB, 46 K, .154 BAA
Nivaldo has really flown under the radar but has had solid numbers the last two season. In April, he pitched great posting a 1.80 ERA with 2 BB/24 K in 20 IP. This included a 27.8 K-BB%.