Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in June.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies
HITTER: Kyle Tucker, OF
- June Stats: 26 G, .387 BA/.427 OBP/.651 SLG, 8 2B, 6 HR, 21 RBI, 8 SB
Tucker started the season a bit slow but he is raking now. He put together a great month hitting .387 with 6 HR and 21 RBI in 26 games. This was good for a 176 wRC+. He was also a perfect 8 for 8 in steals.
PITCHER: Cy Sneed, RHP
- June Stats: 2-2, 2.84 ERA, 25.1 IP, 23 H, 8 ER, 4 BB, 34 SO
Sneed has quietly had a solid season and he was very good in June as he had 4 BB/34 K in 25.1 innings. Overall this year he has a 3.33 ERA and 3.18 FIP with a 24.9 K%.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Yordan Alvarez, 1B/OF
- June Stats: 11 G, .370 BA/.370 OBP/.783 SLG, 4 2B, 5 HR, 14 RBI
While he only played in 11 games in June, Alvarez came back from his DL stint tearing the cover off the ball. He had 5 HR and 14 RBI in 11 games and this doesn’t include his 2 HR game that was cancelled because of rain. He had a 204 wRC+ in June.
PITCHER: Riley Ferrell, RHP
- June Stats: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 9.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 16 SO, .121 BAA
I like to go starters here but Riley was too good to pass up. He struck out 16 in 9.2 innings out of the pen and didn’t allow a run. He was also a perfect 4 for 4 in save opportunities. He has since been promoted to AAA.
A+: Buies Creek Astros
HITTER: Abraham Toro, 3B
- June Stats: 25 G, .264 BA/.363 OBP/.540 SLG, 4 2B, 6 HR, 17 RBI, 14 BB/19 SO
While the BA doesn’t look great (.264 isn’t bad), the advance numbers were very good. Toro hit for power (6 HR) and posted very good walk (13.7 %) and strikeout (18.6%) rates. He had a 150 wRC+ in the month of June.
PITCHER: Brandon Bielak, RHP
- June Stats: 2-0, 0.48 ERA, 18.2 IP, 14 H, 1 ER, 7 BB, 21 K, .209 BAA
This was a tough one as Hector Perez was very good but ultimately I went with Bielak due to his microscopic ERA in the month of June. He posted a very good 10.1 K/9 in June. He has since been promoted to AA.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Bryan De La Cruz, OF
- June Stats: 24 G, .293 BA/.408 OBP/.366 SLG, 2B, 3B, HR, 15 RBI, 15 BB/15 SO, 2 SB
De La Cruz didn’t hit for a lot of power in June, but he got on base at a .408 clip and had very good walk (15.3%) and strikeout (15.3%) rates. He had a 125 wRC+ in the month of June.
PITCHER: Patrick Sandoval, LHP
- June Stats: 3-0, 5 G, 0.00 ERA, 24.0 IP, 18 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 24 K, .198 BAA
This numbers almost feel like video game numbers. 0 ER in 24 innings with 1 BB/24 K. Sandoval was good that good. It also came with a 1.69 FIP and just a .198 BAA. He has since been promoted to Buies Creek.