Last night, the Astros selected 1B/OF Seth Beer out of Clemson with the 28th pick. The pick was somewhat surprising, due to Beer’s lack of speed or defensive tools, but his power is real and the strikeout/walk numbers are great. Plus, he has a great name. In the second round, the Astros selected right-handed high-school pitcher Jayson Schroeder. For more information on the Astros selections check out our full draft coverage below.
- 1B/OF Seth Beer profile
- Tags: Astros draft Clemson OF Seth Beer with 28th pick
- RHP Jayson Schroeder profile
- Rome: Astros draft Jayson Schroeder with 66th pick
- MLB.com Astros Draft Tracker
- SI: 2018 MLB Draft Pick-by-Pick Analysis
- Cut4: Best Names in the Draft (Beer is snubbed, but Travis Swaggerty is a hell of a name also)
- Nolan German (1st round, 19th pick, St. Louis Cardinals) becomes first MLB player to be drafted who was born in the 2000’s
Around the League
- USA TODAY: Yankees threaten to boycott ESPN as team, MLB, union negotiate schedule solution
- Cut4: Who were best MLB players that went undrafted?
- Aaron Judge becomes first player to strike out 8 times in a doubleheader
- Giancarlo Stanton blasts 465 bomb off Fiers after being hit in his last at-bat
- One of the worst strike calls you will ever see, courtesy of Angel Hernandez
- Picture of lightning during Sunday’s game at Minute Maid. Trippy