Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in May.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies
HITTER: Tyler White, 3B
- May Stats: 28 G, .353 BA/.460 OBP/.480 SLG, 7 2B, 2 HR, 19 RBI, 18 BB/15 SO
White had a great month of May hitting .353 and posting a .460 OBP. He had more walks than strikeouts and compiled 36 hits and 18 walks in 28 games. He will get a chance in Houston again at some point.
PITCHER: Rogelio Armenteros, RHP
- May Stats: 3-0, 2.70 ERA, 26.2 IP, 22 H, 4 R, 8 ER, 8 BB, 25 SO
Armenteros didn’t allow more than 3 earned runs in any of his five May starts. After a bumpy April he got back on track in May. He looks to be a guy that could get called up if the Astros need help in the rotation.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Randy Cesar, 3B
- May Stats: 26 G, .385 BA/.412 OBP/.615 SLG, 5 2B, 6 HR, 24 RBI
Cesar continues to hit at every level and is hitting .367 overall this season. He doesn’t walk a lot but finds way to get knocks. He is also currently on a 23 game hitting streak.
PITCHER: Cionel Perez, LHP
- May Stats: 3-0, 1.35 ERA, 26.2 IP, 16 H, 4 ER, 8 BB, 38 SO, .168 BAA
Perez has had a phenomenal stretch recently and it carried all the way through May as he struck out 38 in 26.2 innings. He is looking more and more likely to be a potential call-up this season.
A+: Buies Creek Astros
HITTER: J.J. Matijevic, LF
- May Stats: 20 G, .313 BA/.326 OBP/.588 SLG, 4 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 1 SB
Matijevic was promoted in early May and these are his numbers with Buies Creek. While he walked less and struck out more, he still posted a very good slugging percentage and show his increase in power.
PITCHER: Brett Adcock, LHP
- May Stats: 2-2, 2.54 ERA, 28.1 IP, 15 H, 8 ER, 13 BB, 30 K, .152 BAA
Adcock had a really nice month of May pitching in 6 games and striking out 30 over 28.1 innings. He also had a 2.75 FIP and held opponents to just a .152 BAA.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Jake Meyers, CF
- May Stats: 30 G, .311 BA/.364 OBP/.541 SLG, 12 2B, 2 3B, 4 HR, 18 RBI, 5 SB, 136 wRC+
After a slow April for the Quad Cities offense, the bats got it going in May. A few had good months but Meyers was the best of them posting an OPS north of .900 while hitting for power from the leadoff spot.
PITCHER: Cristian Javier, RHP
- May Stats: 1-1, 6 G, 1.98 ERA, 27.1 IP, 16 H, 6 ER, 9 BB, 49 K, .165 BAA
Javier was a breakout prospect last season and he has started out 2018 in dominating fashion. After a good April, he put together an even better May striking out 49 over 27.1 innings, good for 16.1 K/9.