Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (1-2) won 15-8 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno picked up their first win last night and did so in a big way. Tyler White got the Grizzlies on the board in the first inning with an RBI groundout. The offense then put up 3 runs in the 3rd inning on Kyle Tucker and Tyler White RBI singles and a Reed sac fly. In the 4th Kemmer connected on a solo homer, his first of the season. Fresno then got a grand slam from Jack Mayfield in the 5th inning.
Martes got the start and struggled allowing 6 hits and 3 runs in 3.2 innings to go along with 5 BB/6 K. Fortunately the offense was rolling picking up another run in the 8th and then getting 5 in the 9th on RBI hits from Reed, White, and Kemmer. McCurry closed the game out picking up the save after tossing 1.1 perfect innings with 2 strikeouts.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-3, 2 R, 3 BB, SB
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 1-for-4, R, BB, SB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-6, R, RBI
- Tyler White, 3B: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 2-for-5, 2 R, SB
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 3-for-4, R, 2B, HR, 5 RBI
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 2-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- Francis Martes, RHP: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (WIN)
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (2-1) won 8-2 (BOX SCORE)
Nice win for the Hooks after a riveting win the night before. The offense got their scoring started in the 3rd inning on a Benedetti 2 run single and an Alvarez RBI single. Benedetti picked up another RBI on a bases loaded walk in the 4th. Wrenn added an RBI single in the 5th to make it 5-1. In the 6th inning Alvarez had a 2 run single to make it 8-1.
The Hooks got a nice start from Quiala who allowed 1 earned run over 5 innings of work with 5 strikeouts. Erasmo Pinales relieved him and he pitched well too allowing just 1 run over 3.2 innings. Kevin Hill got the last out to seal the 8-2 win. I know its early, but you have to love what Straw has done so far. 5-for-10 with 6 BB/2 K and 5 SB in 3 games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-4, R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 2-for-4, 2 R, 3 RBI, BB
- Yordan Alvarez, LF: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, BB
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 2-for-5, R
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 3-for-5, RBI, SB
- Arturo Michelena, 2B: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Yoanys Quiala, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Kevin Hill, RHP: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (0-2) POSTPONED
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (0-2) lost 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Tough start for the Quad Cities offense as they have scored just 3 runs in the first two games. Tyler Ivey got the start and despite allowing 2 runs (1 earned) in the first inning, he had a very good day. He finished going 4.2 innings allowing just 3 hits, 1 earned run, and 9 strikeouts. Quad Cities tied the game in the 3rd with 2 runs thanks to a wild pitch and an error.
Cole Watts picked up the final out of the 5th before being relieved by Peter Solomon. Cedar Rapids took a 3-2 lead in the 7th but the River Bandits were able to tie the game in the 9th on an Arauz RBI single. Solomon pitched well but Cedar Rapids walked it off in the 10th on a sac fly following an error. Solomon had 5 K in 4.1 innings.
- Corey Julks, RF: 1-for-5, R
- Jonathan Arauz, SS: 2-for-4, RBI
- Jake Adams, DH: 2-for-5
- Roman Garcia, 1B: 1-for-4, 2B
- Gabriel Bracamonte, C: 0-for-1, R, 3 BB
- Jacob Meyers, CF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Tyler Ivey, RHP: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
- Cole Watts, LHP: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Peter Solomon, RHP: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Rogelio Armenteros (-.-- ERA)
CC: Akeem Bostick (-.-- ERA)
BC: Carson LaRue (-.-- ERA)
QC: Yohan Ramirez (-.-- ERA)