The minor league season is now complete (still some playoff games to go). Let's take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in August.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies
HITTER: Tony Kemp, 2B
- August Stats: 28 G, .348 BA/.372 OBP/.487 SLG, 4 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 16 RBI, 5 SB
Kemp has quietly put together a very good season. He has since been promoted to Houston but hit .329 with a .845 OPS this season. He was hot in August hitting .348 and showing off power with the 9 extra base hits. He also struck out just 43 times in 118 games this season.
PITCHER: Rogelio Armenteros, RHP
- August Stats: 2-0, 1.08 ERA, 25.0 IP, 13 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 7 BB, 36 SO
Armenteros on the list again, he has been that good. Rogelio has dominated the last two seasons and it feels people are still sleeping on him. In August he was pretty much unhittable. Fresno is now 9-1 in his 10 AAA starts. He also has 146 K in 128.2 innings.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Ryne Birk, 2B
- August Stats: 22 G, .292 BA/.320 OBP/.556 SLG, 1 2B, 6 HR, 19 RBI, 3 BB/10 SO
Birk started the season solid and was promoted to Corpus. He started slow in AA but picked it up in August connecting on 6 homers. He now has 15 HR, 68 RBI in 115 games. Solid power for a second baseman, and he is just 22 years old.
PITCHER: Riley Ferrell, RHP
- August Stats: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 10.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 16 SO, .088 BAA
Ferrell was a high profile pick out of TCU but missed time due to an injury. He struggled early on in Corpus but has been dominant over the last month. He tossed 10 scoreless innings allowing just 3 hits, no walks and striking out 16.
A+: Buies Creek Astros
HITTER: Randy Cesar, 3B
- August Stats: 24 G, .340 BA/.350 OBP/.490 SLG, 9 2B, 2 HR, 19 RBI, 2 SB
Cesar had another solid month and showed off a little power with the 9 doubles and 2 HR. While his walk to strikeout ratio isn't very good, he is hitting .297 with 23 2B in 108 games this season.
PITCHER: Sean Stutzman, LHP
- August Stats: 2-0, 1.08 ERA, 16.2 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 19 K, .125 BAA
Stutzman has pitched across three levels this season and has been good at every stop. He was dominant in August for Buies Creek as a lefty out of the pen. He struck out 19 in 16.2 innings allowing just a .125 BAA.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Troy Sieber, 1B
- August Stats: 20 G, .343 BA/.478 OBP/.514 SLG, 3 2B, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 18 BB/16 SO
Sieber has had a solid season but really stood out in August. He has shown some power but the 18 BB/16 SO ratio in 20 games is really nice to see. Overall he is hitting .289 with a .860 OPS this season.
PITCHER: Cristian Javier, RHP
- August Stats: 2-0, 1.75 ERA, 25.2 IP, 12 H, 5 ER, 7 BB, 33 K, .138 BAA
Javier continues his rise with a dominant August. Hitters didn't stand much of a chance hitting just .138 off of him as he struck out 33 batters in 25.2 innings. Overall this season he has allowed just 38 hits in 60 innings with 27 BB/80 K.