AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (20-30) lost 11-6 (BOX SCORE)
The pitching woes continued for Fresno last night. Coleman got roughed up again giving up 7 runs in 6.2 innings. His ERA is now at 6.67. Fresno jumped out to an early lead on a Hernandez RBI double and Moran 2 run single in the first inning. Moran has 32 RBI in 37 games. Fresno picked up 2 more in the 2nd with a run scoring on an error and Brignac RBI single.
Albuquerque would tie the game in the 5th. Fresno re-gained the lead in the 6th on a Fisher RBI double. Fisher finished the night 3-for-5 bringing his average to .323 with a .933 OPS. Holmes relieved Coleman in the 7th inning but gave up 4 runs himself in the 8th. Fresno was unable to put anything else together offensively and fell 11-6.
Note: Fisher is hitting .349 over his last 10 games
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 0-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Derek Fisher, CF: 3-for-5, 2B, RBI, SB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
- Reid Brignac, SS: 2-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Preston Tucker, LF: 2-for-5, 3B
- Max Stassi, C: 1-for-4, 2 R
- Casey Coleman, RHP: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (26-23) won 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
Interesting game last night in Corpus. They were out hit 10-4 but somehow managed to win 1-0. Bostick got the start and pitched well going 5 scoreless innings while allowing 7 hits with 3 strikeouts. He lowered his ERA in Corpus to 2.76 and his overall ERA this season to 2.27. The Hooks' lone run came on a bases loaded walk to Singleton in the 3rd inning.
Smith relieved Bostick and was dominant tossing the final 4 innings without allowing a run and striking out 7. Smith has been on a roll recently. His last four outings: 20 IP, 17 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 21 K. Ferguson's hit streak was snapped at 23 games but he still managed to walk twice and throw out a runner at home in the 5th inning.
Note: Ferguson has 12 BB/6 SO in his last 10 games.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB, SB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 0-for-3, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-for-2, RBI, BB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 1-for-4, SB
- Akeem Bostick, RHP: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (SAVE)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (28-22) lost 6-0 (BOX SCORE)
Rough day for the Buies Creek offense. They managed just 2 hits last night, a Cesar single and McCall double. On the bright side, they drew 8 walks with Straw, Martin, Johnson each drawing 2. Unfortunately, they weren't able to bring any of them in. Valdez got the start and allowed 6 runs over 4.2 innings. He was relieved by Garza who pitched well going 3.1 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts. Garza has 27 K in 24.2 innings in relief this season.
Note: Straw has a .404 OBP with 30 BB/32 SO in 44 games this season.
- Myles Straw, CF: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Jason Martin, LF: 0-for-2, 2 BB, SB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-4
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Spencer Johnson, DH: 0-for-1, 2 BB
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (24-23) won 3-1 (BOX SCORE)
LaRue was on the mound last night for the River Bandits and turned in his longest, and possibly best, start of his career. He went 7 innings allowing just 2 hits and 1 run on 93 pitches. LaRue lowered his season ERA to 1.72 in 40 IP this season. Quad Cities jumped out to an early 2-0 with 2 runs in the first on an Alvarez RBI double and DeGoti RBI single.
In the 3rd inning, Alvarez added another RBI double to make it 3-1. Alvarez had 2 doubles in the game giving him 4 2B, 2 HR, 8 RBI in 12 games this season. Pinales tossed 2 scoreless innings to close it out. He now has a 2.35 ERA in 23 relief innings this season.
Note: Wrenn is hiting .292 with a .804 OPS in 40 games this season.
- Stephen Wrenn, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB, SB
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Yordan Alvarez, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 1-for-4, RBI, SB
- Wander Franco, 3B: 2-for-4, 2B, SB
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (7.32 ERA)
CC: Dean Deetz (1.30 ERA)
BC: Hector Perez (3.48 ERA)
QC: Cionel Perez (6.43 ERA)