AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (18-26) won 9-3 (BOX SCORE)
Coleman was on the mound for the Grizzlies last night and had one of his better outings allowing just 1 run over 5 innings. The Fresno offense scored early and often. Brignac got the scoring started with an RBI single in the second, on his way to a 4-for-4 day. Aplin added a sac fly in the 2nd as well. In the 4th, Brignac added to his day with an RBI double.
The Fresno would add three more in the 6th on a Kemp RBI double and a Moran 3 run HR. Moran now has 7 HR in 113 at bats this season. He had just 10 HR in 459 at-bats last season. He has also had a hit in all 9 games since coming off the DL. Kemmer added an RBI double in the 7th. West had a solid outing in relief tossing 2 scoreless innings with 2 strikeouts to close it out.
Note: Fisher is hitting .352 with 7 HR, 20 RBI over his last 24 games.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB, SB
- Derek Fisher, CF: 1-for-5, R, RBI, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, SB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Tyler White, 2B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Max Stassi, C: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Reid Brignac, SS: 4-for-4, 2 R, 3 2B, 2 RBI
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-5, R
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 1-for-1, 2B, RBI
- Casey Coleman, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Kevin Comer, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (21-22) win 5-0 (BOX SCORE)
Bostick got the start for the Hooks last night and was phenomenal. He went 6 scoreless innings allowing just 3 hits on 77 pitches. Boyd got the Hooks on the board with a sac fly in the 4th. In the 5th inning, Stubbs had a big 2 run single to make it 3-0. Stubbs finished the day with 3 hits and a walk. He has 11 BB/12 K in 26 games this season.
Corpus Christi picked up a run in the 7th on a Davis RBI double and another in the 8th when Nunez scored on a double play. Ferguson had a good game reaching base in all five plate appearances (2 singles, 3 walks). Stutzman tossed two scoreless innings in relief and Minnis closed it out with a scoreless 9th.
Note: Ferguson is hitting .385 over his last 10 games.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 2-for-2, R, 3 BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 3-for-4, R, 2 RBI, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-5, R, 2 2B, RBI
- Antonio Nunez, 2B: 2-for-3, R, BB
- Bobby Boyd, LF: 0-for-4, RBI
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 2-for-4, R
- Akeem Bostick, RHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Sean Stutzman, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Albert Minnis, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (27-17) lost 8-2 (BOX SCORE)
Rough day for the offense yesterday for Buies Creek. They managed just 2 hits during the game and both came during the first inning. Martin lead-off the game with a single and eventually scored on a Cesar RBI single. Martin extended his hit streak to 6 games with the first inning single. Straw drew another walk and now has 24 BB/29 K in 38 games.
Ferrell got the start and got roughed up allowing 6 runs over 2.2 innings. Garza relieved Ferrell and pitched well tossing 3.1 scoreless innings. Garza hasn't allowed an earned run over his last 8.2 innings pitched. Brey threw 2 scoreless innings in relief and now has 8 K in 5 innings for Buies Creek.
Note: Straw has drawn 10 BB in his last 10 games and has a .393 OBP this season.
- Jason Martin, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Myles Straw, CF: 0-for-2, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-4, RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 0-for-2, BB
- Arturo Michelena, SS: 0-for-2, BB
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 2.2 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Howie Brey, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (20-21) won 15-8 (BOX SCORE)
After being shutout for 31 consecutive innings, Quad Cities broke through in a big way yesterday. Ayarza put the River Bandits on the board with a 3 run HR in the first inning. Franco had a good game with an RBI single in the 3rd inning and then a 2 run HR in the 5th. In the 6th, Quad Cities scored 6 times on a Dawson RBI double (who scored on an error), Jones RBI single, and a 3 run HR from Duarte.
In the 9th inning, Ayarza connected on a 2 run HR, his 2nd of the game and 7th of the season. I didn't know much about him prior to the season but he has been great hitting .330 with 7 HR, 25 RBI in 30 games. LaRue got the start and pitched well allowing just 2 runs over his 5 innings of work. LaRue has a 1.80 ERA over 40 innings this season. Benedetti now has 16 BB/16 SO in 22 games.
Note: Ayarza is hitting .394 with 3 HR, 12 RBI over his last 8 games.
- Stephen Wrenn, CF: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, BB, SB
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2B, 3 BB
- Rodrigo Ayarza, DH: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 2-for-6, R, 2 2B, RBI
- Ray Henderson-Lozano, C: 1-for-3, 3 R, 3 BB
- Marcos Almonte, 2B: 2-for-5, R, SB
- Wander Franco, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-5, R
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB, SB
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Dustin Hunt, RHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- Lucas Williams, RHP: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (8.18 ERA)
CC: Kyle Smith (3.71 ERA)
BC: Elieser Hernandez (5.46 ERA)