AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (17-26) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Martes was on the mound for the Grizzlies last night and turned in a solid performance. He went 5 innings allowing just 2 runs (on a 2 run HR) with 7 strikeouts, though he walked four. In those 5 innings he threw 87 pitches, 54 for strikes. Unfortunately, he was walked at least 3 in every outing this season. Jankowski pitched a perfect 8th with 2 strikeouts and Diaz pitched a perfect 9th picking up 3 strikeouts.
The Fresno offense struggled for the most part last night. In the 8th inning, Moran connected on a 2 run HR to put Fresno on the board. This was his 6th HR of the season in just 30 games. Last season he had 10 HR in 117 AAA games. He is hitting .379 with 3 HR in 8 games since his return from the DL. Reed picked up 2 hits raising his season average to .284 with a .853 OPS.
Note: Jankowski has a 1.42 ERA in relief with 22 K in 19 innings this season.
- Derek Fisher, CF: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, DH: 1-for-4
- Colin Moran, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Tyler White, 2B: 1-for-4
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 2-for-4, 2B
- Preston Tucker, RF: 1-for-4
- Francis Martes, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Dayan Diaz, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (20-22) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Sneed has had a rough start to the season and it continued last night as he allowed 8 hits and 5 runs in 3 innings. He has a 5.35 ERA so far this season. The offense struggled a bit last night too managing just 2 runs which came on a 2 run HR from Boyd in the 7th inning. Dykxhoorn tossed 3 scoreless innings in relief lowering his ERA to 6.40. Ferguson, Laureano, and Trompiz all had two singles in the loss last night.
Note: Ferguson is hitting .356 in the month of May
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 2-for-5
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 2-for-4
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Bobby Boyd, CF: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 2-for-4
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 3.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (27-16) won 8-2 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek didn't waste any time blowing this game open. Tucker got the scoring started with a 3 run double in the first inning. He now has 41 RBI in 40 games this season and is hitting .344 with a 1.143 OPS in May. McCall drew a bases loaded walk to drive in a run and then Martin connected on a 2 run double, his second hit of the inning. Martin picked up 3 hits for the second game in a row and is hitting .299 this season.
Quiala got the start for Buies Creek and was solid allowing just 2 hits, 1 run over 5 innings of work. Buies Creek added another run in the 3rd on a Sierra sac fly. They would get one more run in the 8th on a Johnson RBI double. Valdez pitched the second half of the piggy-back last night and was very good allowing 1 hit and 1 run over his 4 innings with 6 strikeouts. Valdez has 42 K in 35.2 innings this season.
Note: Martin is hitting .385 with 9 RBI over his last 10 games
- Jason Martin, LF: 3-for-6, R, 2 RBI
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 0-for-3, 2 R, BB, SB
- Jake Rogers, C: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 2-for-4, R, 2B, 3 RBI, BB
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Pat Porter, RF: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Arturo Michelena, 3B: 3-for-5, R
- Dexture McCall, DH: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 BB
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 0-for-4, RBI
- Yoanys Quiala, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (19-21) lost 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
The rough stretch on offense continues as the River Bandits were shutout again. They haven't scored in 31 consecutive innings. Hartman got the start last night and was very good tossing 6 scoreless innings with 7 strikeouts. They only managed 4 hits but 2 of them came from Alvarez, who has been solid so far. Dawson and Jones both added singles but that was all the offense would get. Saldana pitched the final two innings but allowed 1 run, the game winning run in the 8th.
Note: Alvarez is hitting .350 in 6 games this season
- Yordan Alvarez, DH: 2-for-4, 2B
- Ronnie Dawson, RF: 1-for-4
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-2, BB
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Casey Coleman (7.63 ERA)
CC: Akeem Bostick (8.44 ERA)
BC: Hector Perez (1.72 ERA)
QC: Caron LaRue (1.54 ERA)