Well, this is a bit awkward. I do love the Houston Astros. I love their sabermetrics ways, their packed farm and their current win-loss record. I love writing about them, too. However, if there's one thing I love more, as many of you may well know, it's the San Francisco Giants. Well it may make me a bit of an outsider, I guess, it does put me in a good position to inform you about the Giants ahead of tonight's game.
Some things to look out for:
- Tim Hudson, even at at his ripe, old age, is still pretty good. He isn't a Dallas Keuchel of the ground ball world, but he will still induce plenty. His sinker, when working down in the zone, is rather good. He certainly won't no-hit you, but he will put up a good fight and keep the Giants in the game.
- Buster Posey is actually the best player the world has ever seen, (I promise I'm not even biased). And tonight, he happens to be getting a little rest and playing DH. In case you didn't know already, Posey mashes when he isn't in the squat. Come to think of it, Posey mashes all the time but he will be mashing even more tonight.
- Bruce Bochy doesn't really like those sabermetrics. In fact, I'm not sure he is aware of their existence. Which means, from time to time, we do things like trading away real prospects for players like Casey McGehee. Even in the world of runs batted in and batting average, McGehee is bad. For some reason, don't be surprised to see him feature at the hot corner. McGehee could probably ground into a double play without runners on base, so look out for that.
- While everyone likes to laugh at our farm system I like to take a lot of pride in it. We seem to, somehow, produce major league player after major league player. Our latest graduate, Chris Heston, threw a complete-game, two-hitter last night. The two prior to him, Matt Duffy and Joe Panik, are both doing good things in the infield for the Giants. Long may that continue.
- Angel Pagan has great hair. Angel Pagan is also doing pretty well hitting in the middle of the Giants' order. Making the transition from the leadoff spot this season has done great things for Pagan. Look out for his hot-ish bat hitting third, most likely, tonight.
- Our bullpen is great. Yusmeiro Petit is the best swingman in the game, and if you disagree; leave. Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt, Sergio Romo -- who has been striking out you, you, and you -- make up the big three at the back of the 'pen. Javier Lopez, the left handed specialist, and George Kontos, the new guy, finish off a lethal bullpen. Jean Machi isn't great, but we won't count him.
- Last, but not least, Brandon Crawford. Brandon Crawford has great hair, too. But a little more importantly; Crawford has been one of the best players in the game so far this season.He's in the top echelon of all players and the best shortstop. He hits, he fields and throws like a magician and he runs the bases well. Watch for him to change the game tonight, as per usual.
That's all you need to know about the reigning World Series Champions. And, go Astros!