Okay, so I didn't do so hot on my spring predictions. Check them out here. The ones I missed:
1. Lucas Harrell will learn a new pitch, or will have possibly tweaked his fastball in some way.
2. Chris Carter will have retooled his swing.
8. DDJ will steal 10 bases in spring games. He will still not be on any Top 100 prospect lists.
10. Jose Altuve will have an excellent spring.
The good news? I hit on some too. Here's the ones I (sort of) got right:
3. First base will be such a mess that it gets everyone's hopes up for Jon Singleton on Opening Day.
4. Jon Singleton will be sent down to minor league camp.
5. George Springer will hit a home run 500 feet, nailing an alligator just as it tries to attack an unsuspecting dog walker. No one will laud him because George Springer is the hero the Astros deserve, but not the one it needs right now.
6. The closer battle will leave everyone underwhelmed, leaving some to panic about the state of the bullpen prematurely.
7. Carlos Correa will inspire at least five gush-fest stories on his play with the big league team this spring.
9. Jesus Guzman will lead the Astros in home runs in the Grapefruit League.
Guzman tied for the Grapefruit League lead with two homers. Point, me. First base was a mess and Singleton was sent down, but his admissions in that Associated Press story kept people from getting too excited about him. I'm still taking credit. Springer still got sent down, despite being awesome. Carlos Correa was gushed over multiple times and the closer battle WAS underwhelming. Hence, the closer by committee setup is installed.
Why do I bring this up? Because I'm going to make more predictions for April and it's nice to get a baseline to how goofy these might be. I'm not always right, but I'll take 60 percent. Without further ado, here's my predictions for April.
1. Houston will go 10-18 in the first month of the season.
2. Matt Dominguez will lead the team in home runs for April.
3. Jarred Cosart will lead the team in strikeouts.
4. Dexter Fowler will score 20 runs.
5. Lucas Harrell will either be a rotation mainstay or off the team by the end of the month.
6. Jesse Crain won't pitch in an Astros game until May.
7. Robbie Grossman will hit .280/.350/.400 in the two-hole.
8. Jonathan Villar will steal five bases.
9. Houston will win more one-run games than it loses.
10. Scott Feldman will not be great, but will have the lowest ERA on the staff.
What are your predictions for April? Which ones do you agree with and which ones am I crazy for making?