Tournament voting rules, methodology and schedule
Round 1 is in the books. Here is the bracket for the next round which starts today:
Round 1 Notes
- There was only one upset on the minor league side. Danry Vasquez defeated Rio Ruiz, 204-173. Ruiz actually started with a pretty good lead, but Vasquez made a late comeback to take the matchup.
- George Springer on the other hand had the largest margin of victory, defeating Leo Heras 333-16.
- Max Stassi got the most votes in the round, with 590 votes; Andrew Thurman got the second most votes in the round, with 408. Unfortunately for Thurman, he was matched up with Stassi. The matchup resulted in 998 votes total.
- The two closest matchups ended up being in the major league divisions: Robbie Grossman defeated Brett Oberholtzer by 10 votes, 152-142; then Darin Downs defeated Josh Zeid by 14 votes, 195-181.
Round 2 Interesting Matchups
- Jason Castro vs Jarred Cosart - I'm dubbing this the anagram battle, but that's not the only reason why this matchup is interesting. There's also the fact that their first names share the same two first letters, they'll be batterymates this season and okay I'll stop. On a more serious note, they did have similar vote totals. Cosart won his matchup against Jose Cisnero 192-23 and Castro defeated Alex White 188-20.
- Scott Feldman vs Dallas Keuchel - I feel like Keuchel should win this, but I'm hesitant to underestimate Feldman.
- Much more interesting matchups on the minor league side of the bracket: Aaron West vs Nicholas Tropeano; Delino DeShields vs Mark Appel; Asher Wojciechowski vs Preston Tucker; and Domingo Santana vs Lance McCullers. It's anyone's guess who advances out of those matchups.