The other piece to the Jose Veras trade has been discovered, from Jason Beck of MLB.com:
#Tigers have sent Gulf Coast League RHP David Paulino to Houston as player to be named in Jose Veras trade from July.— Jason Beck (@beckjason) September 13, 2013
David Paulino is a 19-year old 6'5", 180 lbs right-handed pitcher who also happens to be the brother of "highly-touted" Tigers pitching prospect Brenny Paulino.
In his blog (Beck's Blog), Beck notes that Paulino:
- Has a big arm, like his brother.
- Just had Tommy John surgery.
- Has been hitting 97 mph with his fastball, according to scouting reports.
- Is a high-risk, high-reward pickup for the Astros, who also received outfield prospect Danry Vasquez.
Paulino has been in the Tigers system since 2011. He pitched 15 innings that year, four innings in 2012 and 20 innings this year. Overall he has a 1.62 ERA in 39 innings of work. He's struck out 9.5 hitters per nine innings and walked only 2.8 per nine innings.
This looks like yet another good move for Jeff Luhnow and company who were able to capitalize on a 32-year old reliever with a 3.83 ERA and a 4.08 FIP.
More from Crawfish Boxes:
- Houston Astros Minor League Recap (9/12): We Have a Winner
- Astros' Change Ups
- Brad Peacock Keeps The Mariners In Check As Astros Bats Stay Hot.
- Buying the Astros' Plan Lock, Stock & Barrel
- AMP Mailbag: A new bag of Astros questions