The Oklahoma City RedHawks were in Nashville last night but I chose to stay home for the NCAA National Championship Game and do some homework. But, I'll be at tonight's game and also the game on Thursday. Wednesday is a bit up in the air if I go.
Tandem Pitching Works...but RedHawks still fall 1-0
This was probably the best example of tandem pitching working for the RedHawks so far where they only used Rudy Owens and Jose Cisnero. They both came away without giving up earned runs, but it was a Jimmy Paredes' error at third base that ended up being the nail in the coffin. His error allowed the leadoff hitter in the second inning to reach base and then would score on the following hit and run play. The bats fell asleep for the most part with just four hits, and two of those coming in the ninth.
- Rudy Owens-5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 6/3 GO/AO, 57/39 P/S
- Jose Cisnero-3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO, 3/0 GO/AO, 56/35 P/S
- Jake Elmore 2B-2-4, 2B, SB
Hooks Rally Late to take 4-3 Win
Despite reaching base seventeen times, the Hooks mustered only four runs and needed a ninth inning rally to score two of those in order to win. It was Michael Burgess whose bases loaded single allowed the Hooks to take the lead and win the game. This team exemplified what the front office wanted with their insane total of nine walks on the night. George Springer contributed two of those walks and also added two hits including a double.
- Jake Buchanan-5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 1 HR, 9/0 GO/AO 68/48 P/S
- Carlos Quevedo-1 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR
- Pat Urckfitz-2 1/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO, 3/1 GO/AO
- Austin Wates LF-0-3, 2 BB, SO, SB
- George Springer CF-2-3, 2B, 2 BB, SB
- Michael Burgess DH-3-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Domingo Santana RF-0-2, 2 BB, 2 SO
- Enrique Hernandez 2B-1-2, 2 BB, SO, SB
Lancaster Dirt Storm!
Game will be played in a double header on May 8th
Quad Cities Continues to be Perfect with 12-2 Win
With the youth and inexperience on this team, it was easy to imagine them coming out of the gate slow, but they haven't by any means. This team is undefeated after five games and everything is working perfectly. They are drawing some walks, they are making contact and are hitting for a little power. Teoscar Hernandez was the headliner in this game with a 4-6 night with two doubles. The pitching staff deserves credit too as they also put together the perfect tandem night with only Joe Bircher and Vincent Velasquez taking the mound. VV was very good in his four perfect innings and struck out six.
- Joe Bircher-5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 8/1 GO/AO
- Vincent Velasquez-4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 SO, 1/4 GO/AO
- Teoscar Hernandez CF-4-6, 2 2B
- Carlos Correa SS-0-3, 2 BB, 2 SO
- Chase Davidson DH-3-5, 2 SO
- Jesse Wierzbicki 1B-2-4, 2B, HR
- Ariel Ovando RF-0-3, 2 BB, 2 SO
- Joe Sclafani 2B-1-2, 2B, 3 BB