What a day yesterday was! Things should get a little more exciting with fourteen more picks today. I'm really pumped about Carlos Correa! Lance McCullers Jr. is an exciting pick, albeit risky. It'll be interesting to see how the remainder of the next nine picks go with McCullers having to be paid overslot to sign. If you still see some upside players drafted, you know they expect to save more money than we're expecting with Correa or McCullers will take less than we're expecting.
But, enough draft talk as there's plenty of other threads today to discuss it. Let's talk about some power!
Mike Hessman hit two more home runs last night, making it five in the last two days. Just a little ridiculous. We've said it before, he's no where near being a prospect at his age but if somebody else gets an injury or Brick tanks his shot this year, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do. Loads of power off the bench and can play 1B, 3B, LF, and even had a start at 2B.
Jonathan Villar must have watched the draft before hitting the field last night because something struck him with a lightning rod. He picked up three hits last, including a home run. His numbers have been trending up lately and has hit over .300 with two home runs in the last ten games.
One year after the night he was selected with the Astros first pick, George Springer hit his 11th home run of the season for High-A Lancaster. It's great to see, especially since he was pressing a lot. Over the last ten games, his batting average is under .200 and his OPS is below .700. Although, he's drawing a ton of walks in that time. But, he's striking out a ton too.
Oklahoma City RedHawks won 6-5
- Brian Bass-5 1/3 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 5/4 GO/AO, 98 pitches, GS: 31
- Adalberto Flores-2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Mickey Storey-2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Juan Abreu-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-1-4, HR, SO
- Mike Hessman 1B-2-3, 2 HR, BB-5 HR in two games!
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-4, SB
- Angel Sanchez SS-3-4, SB, CS, PO
Corpus Christi Hooks lost 12-8
- Ross Seaton-4 2/3 IP, 11 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR, 4/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches GS: 22
- Henry Villar-1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Erick Abreu-1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
- Josh Zeid-1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
- Austin Wates CF-2-4, SO
- Jonathan Villar SS-3-5, HR
- Jose Martinez 2B-1-2, BB
- Jonathan Singleton LF, 1B-0-5, 3 SO
- Chris Wallace C-1-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Kody Hinze 1B-1-3, 2B
Lancaster JetHawks lost 11-4
- Ruben Alaniz-4 2/3 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 2 HR, 2/6 GO/AO GS: 15
- Pat Urckfitz-2 1/3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR
- Brian Streilein-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO
- Brady Dydalewicz-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO
- Ben Orloff SS-2-4
- George Springer CF-1-3, HR, BB, SO
- Erik Castro DH-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
- Rafael Valenzuela 1B-1-4, 2B
- Enrique Hernandez 2B-2-4, 2B
- Grant Hogue RF-1-3, 2B-Hitting .533! Call him up!
Lexington Legends: Off
DSL Astros lost 13-5
- Juan Hernandez-2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 1/0 GO/AO
- Juan Delis-3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 3/3 GO/AO
- Rayderson Chevalier-0 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
- Frangy Colon-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Arturo Michelena 2B-1-5, SO, SB
- Yoel Silfa 3B-2-5, 2 SO
- Luis Reynoso SS-2-5, BB, SO
- Frederick Serrano DH-1-5, 2B, 2 SO