For today's discussion topic let's talk Jonathan Villar Vs. Jiovanni Mier. This has been an increasingly hot topic floating around here on TCB lately, and the fact that Mier went 3-5 with a homerun and is hitting .301 on the year now while Villar is hitting .208 and made his 10th error of the season will probably add to the discussion. Here are their stats prior to yesterday's action.
We know that Villar is younger and that he's playing at a higher level of competition right now. We also know that he was rushed last season and probably should have spent the whole year at Lancaster. He's gotten off to a rough start at Corpus again this year showing that at 21 years old he may not yet be quite ready for AA.
On the other hand Mier is performing well and has gotten off to a nice start in Lancaster. The disclaimer with him though is that he has struggled in full season ball up to this point, and he's experiencing his first run of success. It may be worth letting him experience some sustained success for a while before challenging him at the next level just to make sure that you don't risk his development.
The problem that the Astros have is that they have two shortstops who should probably both be playing at the High-A level right now. If Mier performs like he has so far all year, or maybe even half the year then he would seemingly be ready to move up to the next level. Likewise if Villar continues to struggle then he would not be ready to advance to Oklahoma City to accompany Mier, and that would make for a difficult decision for the Astros to make.
Oklahoma City RedHawks Lost 15-5
- Paul Clemens - 2 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, BB, 2/2 GO/AO - File this one away under forgettable to say the least. Bad timing as well as he possibly had a chance to audition for a spot start with the Astros.
- Sergio Perez - 4 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 SO, 2 HR, 2/6 GO/AO
- Adalberto Flores - 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 SO, HR, 0/0 GO/AO
- Juan Abreu - 1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, SO, 1/1 GO/AO
- Fernando Martinez LF - 2-4, BB
- Scott Moore 3B - 3-5, 2B, SO
- Jimmy Paredes 2B - 2-5, SO, SB
Corpus Christi Hooks lost 10-2
- Ross Seaton - 3 IP, 7 H, 9 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, SO, HR, 6-3 GO/AO
- Arcenio Leon - 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 SO, 5/0 GO/AO
- Johnathan Aristil - 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 6 SO, 1/2 GO/AO
- Jake Goebbert LF - 2-4, 3B
- Jonathan Singleton 1B - 0-3, BB, 3 SO, E
- Kody Hinze DH - 0-4, 3 SO
- Jonathan Villar SS - 1-4, 2 SO, E
Lancaster JetHawks Won 8-6
- Ruben Alaniz - 6 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, BB, 4 SO, 2 HR, 9-3 GO/AO
- Pat Urckfitz - 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, SO, 0/3 GO/AO
- Jorge De Leon - 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, SO, 1/1 GO/AO
- Jiovanni Mier SS - 3-5, HR - His average is up to .301 now.
- Rafael Valenzuela 1B - 2-5, 2 SO
- George Springer CF - 2-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Telvin Nash LF - 2-3, 2B, BB, SO
- Erik Castro DH - 2-5, 2 SO
Lexington Legends Lost 5-3
- Luis Cruz - 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, BB, 5 SO, HR, 6/3 GO/AO
- Euris Quezada - 1/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, Balk, 0/1 GO/AO - Not the best debut in the world
- Carlos Quevedo - 1 2/3 IP, H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3/1 GO/AO
- Delino DeShields 2B - 1-4, SO
- Jordan Scott CF - 1-3, SO
- Matt Duffy 3B - 3-4, 3 2B
- Mike Kvasnicka DH - 1-4, 2B, SO
- Brandon Meredith LF - 0-3, RBI, 3 SO - See above debut note for Euris Quezada