Total Domination! That's exactly what Jon Singleton and George Springer did last night. Take a minute to watch the top two videos on this link. Singleton has such pretty swing.
I'm not trying to take any credit...well maybe I am...for Singletons phenomenal night at the plate. I did highlight him yesterday morning which put him directly in the spotlight. But, it was Singleton who blasted two home runs, a triple, and single last night for the perfect night at the plate. As discussed yesterday, the Hooks stadium can be a little difficult on left-handed hitters because right field faces almost directly out to the gulf where winds almost come directly in. Last night, those winds were coming in almost 15 MPH at times, and yet Singleton's second bomb was a flyball to right field. He has monster power! He is just dominating right handed pitchers right now to the tune of a .486/.561/.886 slash line. I'll just say he needs more at-bats against lefties before I say anything.
Springer wasn't on that level last night, but he was on a level above everyone else. He had his own perfect 4-4 night as well, but instead of two home runs, he hit two triples. That's exactly how you bounce back from a terrible night in which you struck out five times. With a raw athlete (for a college hitter) like Springer, in his first full season of baseball, your going to see a lot of ups and downs. That's just going to come with the territory. Sending him to Advanced High-A may have been an aggressive move. It may have been more prudent to send him to Lexington for a month or two, then on to Lancaster. But, you have to challenge your best players, and he's being challenged. Nights like last night give me loads of confidence that he'll get the better end of the challenge.
Oklahoma City RedHawks won 8-5
- Jordan Lyles-7 1/3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 11/1 GO/AO, 102 Pitches-Shouldn't have sent back out in the 8th
- Jonnathan Aristil-2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Brian Bixler SS-0-5, 4 SO
- Fernando Martinez LF-1-3, 2B
- Scott Moore 1B-3-3, 2 2B, BB
- Brett Wallace 3B-2-4, SO
- Justin Ruggiano CF-1-4, 3B
- Brad Snyder RF-3-4, 2B, 3B, CS
Corpus Christi Hooks won 8-2
- Jose Cisnero-5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 12 SO, 2/2 GO/AO, 111 Pitches-WOW!
- Arcenio Leon-3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 SO, 4/0 GO/AO
- Adalberto Flores-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO
- Austin Wates LF-1-3, 2B, BB
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-4-4, 3B, 2 HR, PO-Phenomenal!
- Brandon Barnes CF-0-4, 3 SO
- Kody Hinze DH-2-4, 2 SO, CS
- Andrew Simunic 3B-1-2, HR, BB
Lancaster JetHawks won 6-3
- Bobby Doran-7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 6/7 GO/AO-Who says you can't pitch in Lancaster
- Jiovanni Mier SS-3-4, BB
- Enrique Hernandez 2B-1-5, 2B
- George Springer CF-4-4, 2 3B-Rebound game
- Telvin Nash 1B-0-3, 3 SO
- Erik Castro DH-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
- Adam Bailey LF-2-4, 2B, SO, CS
- Domingo Santana RF-1-4, 2B-Also revealed his own arm gun
Lexington Legends lost 4-1
- Nicholas Tropeano-2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 1/0 GO/AO-Pulled for high pitch count in a long 2nd inning
- Nathan Pettus-3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 6/0 GO/AO
- Carlos Quevedo-4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 SO, 5/1 GO/AO
- Delino DeShields Jr. 2B-0-3, BB, 2 SO, SB-11 SBs with 0 CS
- Matt Duffy 3B-1-4, 2B, SO
- Roberto Pena C-2-3, CS