It's a good weekend when two of your top prospects that have struggled at the plate the last two years both him home runs, yes I'm talking about Delino DeShields Jr. and Jiovanni Mier. Both had shown better signs at the plate this season, albeit one more than the other and in a very small sample size. DDJ had put up a much better batting average that included a few doubles sprayed around the outfield and had drawn a fair number of walks. Jio, on the other hand had an improved batting average, although not the extreme of DDJ, as well as a few walks. The biggest flaw so far? Not a single extra base hit in the offensive parks that he had played in so far in the California League. So, it's a good start and let's hope it's signs of things to come.
Now, lets check in on the minor league records.
Oklahoma City is 8-3 and tied for first in the American Southern Division. Both pitching and hitting has been very good to start the season, and this team looks better than I expected. I hope to catch a few games this week, but this is going to be a very busy week for me, and I may only be able to catch one game in their trip to Nashville.
Corpus Christi is 5-5 and is in 3rd place in the 4 team South Division. This was supposed to be the best team, but they have struggled in some games while dominating others. This is a high talent team, but they are raw. They are going to have their struggles, but I expect for this team to improve a lot as the season moves on.
Lancaster is 3-7 and tied for last place in the South Division. The reason? Pitching as expected. Although, when the pitchers have been good, this team has been in the fight. They have the hitting to be one of the best teams but pitching is always going struggle there.
Lexington is 3-8 and second to last in the 7 team Southern Division. They've struggled in every way for the most part, with only a few bright spots scattered around, mostly to do with Nick Tropeano, one of Folty's starts, Zachary Johnson, and DDJ.
Saturday, April 14
Oklahoma City won 4-3
- Henry Sosa- 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 8/1 GO/AO, 93 pitches
- Sergio Perez-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Xavier Cedeno-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Jose Valdez-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Brian Bixler CF-2-3, HR, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Angel Sanchez SS-0-1, 3 BB, SB, CS-What?!?!?!
- Justin Ruggiano LF-1-5, 2B
- Carlos Corporan C-2-3
- Scott Moore PH-1-1, HR
Corpus Christi lost 9-7
- Brett Oberholtzer-4 1/3 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR, 11/3 GO/AO, 79 pitches-Rough start to the year
- Jonnathan Aristil-2 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Jonathan Villar SS-1-4, BB, SO, SB
- Jake Goebbert RF, LF-2-5
- Jonathan Singleton LF, 1B-1-3, 2B, 2 BB
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-4, 2 2B, SO
- Kody Hinze 1B-2-4
Lancaster JetHawks won 4-1
- Bobby Doran-7 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 SO, 9/2 GO/AO-Good command and sharp break that night
- Jorge De Leon-1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Jiovanni Mier SS-2-4, HR, 2 SO
- George Springer CF-1-4, HR, SO
- Erik Castro DH-1-3, HR
Lexington Legends lost 3-1
- Nicholas Tropeano-6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 SO, 6/1 GO/AO-I love this guy!
- Zachary Johnson DH-0-2, 2 BB
- Roberto Pena C-1-3, 2B
Sunday, April 15
Oklahoma City lost 4-3
- Paul Clemens-6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 5/6 GO/AO, 78 pitches
- Angel Sanchez SS-1-5, 2B, SO
- Collin DeLome RF-2-4, SO, SB
- JB Shuck CF-2-4
- Landon Powell C-2-3, BB
Corpus Christi lost 2-1
- Jake Buchanan-6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 7/5 GO/AO, 74 pitches
- Kevin Chapman-2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 2/0 GO/AO, 30 pitches
- Austin Wates LF-2-4
- Jake Goebbert RF-2-4, HR, SO
- Brandon Barnes CF-1-4, 2B, SO
Lancaster JetHawks lost 7-5
- Wes Musick-5 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 4/3 GO/AO
- Andrew Robinson-2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 6/0 GO/AO
- Jose Trinidad-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2/2 GO/AO
- Telvin Nash LF-2-4, HR, BB, 2 SO
- Erik Castro DH-2-3, BB
Lexington Legends lost 5-4 (11 Innings)
- Kyle Hallock-5 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 5/2 GO/AO
- Carlos Quevedo-4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 5/2 GO/AO
- Delino DeShields Jr. DH-1-3, HR, 2 BB
- Zachary Johnson 1B-1-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Justin Gominsky CF-2-4, 2B