UPDATE: AFL performances updated. I apparently forgot that I didn't fill those in since the game was still going last night.
The biggest story of the week in the world of Off-Season leagues is that we now have thirty-one pitches of Pitch F/X data for Jarred Cosart. We also were able to get another innings worth for Nick Tropeano, but that was mostly along the same lines as the last data, so I'm not going to post it now. Alex Sogard and Chia-Jen Lo also toed the rubber in front of the infamous cameras as well. Just keep in mind that once the AFL is done, I'll publish all the data I have.
|Pitch||Count||Velocity||X-Movt||Y-Movt||Spin Angle||Spin Rate|
The biggest thing we can take away is that this was one rough outing in which he lasted only 2/3 of an inning and was charged with seven runs, so it's not his performance. These are average of the pitches, so keep in mind that there are ranges. The x-movement on his fastball ranged from -4.74 to -0.65 and the y-movement ranged from 6.99 to 12.17. They were all classified as four-seam fastballs, but that is a wide range for just one type. So, I will say he is throwing some two-seams. Of his 25 fastballs, 12 of them had a y-movement of 10 or higher. He had several in the mid to high 9 range which I will say are likely four-seams as well.
Either way, if he has two fastballs, neither of them have a lot of horizontal movement. The movement is not what I expected to see. The velocity is as he topped out at 97.1 MPH. This is a small sample size, but I expected more movement given that he has such a high GB%.
Now, the curveball! That is some pretty numbers to look at. It's not phenomenal drop but it's above average and the two plane break allows for it to look a little more nasty. It's not 12-6 curve by any means as those usually have x-movement numbers much closer to 0.
Arizona Fall League
- Bobby Borchering 3B-2-15, 2B, 5 SO (.465 OPS)
- Jiovanni Mier IF-2-7, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 SO (.580 OPS)
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-5-21, 4 BB, 4 SO (.938 OPS)
- George Springer OF-3-14, 2B, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1 SB (1.093 OPS)
- Jarred Cosart-2 G, 2 GS, 4 2/3 IP, 9 R, 5 ER, 9 H, 4 BB, 2 SO (7.88 ERA)
- Chia-Jen Lo-3 G, 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR, 0 BB, 0 SO (3.60 ERA)
- Alex Sogard-2 G, 1 2/3 IP, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR (6.75 ERA)
- Nick Tropeano-3 G, 4 IP, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR
Venezuelan Winter League
- Brandon Barnes OF-5-20, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 6 SO, 1 SB, 1 BB (.703 OPS)
- Jose Martinez IF-6-20, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 5 SO (.585 OPS)
- Gabriel Garcia-1 G, 0 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 SO (5.40 ERA)
- Arcenio Leon-1 G, 0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB (9.00 ERA)
- Sergio Perez-2 G, 2 GS, 11 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 SO, 1 HR (1.64 ERA)
Dominican Winter League
- Jonathan Villar SS-0-3, 1 SO, 1 CS (.667 OPS)
- Erick Abreu-1 G, 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR (8.10 ERA)
- Aneury Rodriguez-1 G, 1 GS, 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO (1.50 ERA)
Liga Mexicana del Pacifico
- Garrett Mock-2 G, 3 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO (0.00 ERA)