How about a little draft update? We know that the Astros have exchanged proposals a few times with George Springer and that its actually moving, but nothing seems imminent. I don't have any doubts that he'll sign because he has said he will sign and he just seems like the type of player that wants to move on to the next level. They have also said they are still working with Jack Armstrong and getting a deal done with him. But, how is he doing in the Cape Cod League? His third start went fairly well. He pitched five inning, allowed four hits and two walks that led to three earned runs. Did I mention he struck out seven? He's a first round talent and I want him signed!
As of yesterday, they have also signed two more high shool picks, Dustin Kellogg and Wallace Gonzalez. We already have a fanpost and fanshot on Kellogg while we've just discussed the Gonzalez signing in two threads yesterday. With the Astros saying they are still negotiating with two high school picks after they signed Kellogg, and have now signed Gonzalez, it leaves us with one high schooler left. Who is it? Most would expect it would be one of the following; Horace Stubblefield (14th round), Billy Flamion (25th round), or Hoke Granger (42nd round). I think Granger is out of the picture given his comments. Flamion seems like a long shot, although he might be my favorite. Then there's Stubblefield who seems the most logical. I'd be perfectly happy with that. He has a fastball that sits 88-92 but can hit 94, yeah I like the arm.
But, there are a few other high school names that could end up being the guy. There is Jared Fisher who is big 6'4, 235 pound righty and theres Andrew Murray who projects to have plus power and could hit for a high average while playing some decent defense behind the plate. Or the tall projectable lefty taken in the 35th round, Christopher Morales or David Grimes, a switch-hitting outfielder who could be a diamond in the rough? But, its not the last pick, Colton Davis, since he has said he's going to school. The rest are college and JUCO players.
The signing deadline is August 5th. So, expect news to start coming out negotiations with the players to come out a little more frequently.
Oklahoma City won 8-7
- Nelson Figueroa-6 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO, 9/4 GO/AO
- Sammy Gervacio-1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Luis Durango CF-1-4, 2B, BB, SB
- JB Shuck LF-1-4, 2B, BB
- Drew Locke RF-3-4, 3B, BB, SO, SB
- JR Towles C-1-3, HR, BB, SB-Why can he dominate the minors but suck in the majors? That's two homers already!
- Tommy Manzella SS-2-4, 2B, HR, BB
Corpus Christi lost 15-8
- Ross Seaton-4 1/3 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 5/1 GO/AO-The day he was announced Pitcher of the Week, he tosses this mess...
- Blake King-2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
- Danny Meszaros-1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO
- Jonathan Villar SS-2-4, HR, BB, 2 SO
- Jimmy Paredes 3B-1-5, 2B, 4 SO
- Jose Altuve 2B-2-5, HR-I guess his legs got some good rest!
- Kody Hinze 1B-2-4, HR, BB, SO-That's two in CC!
- Jacob Goebbert LF-1-3, 2B, 2 BB, SO
- Chris Wallace DH-2-5, 2 2B, 3 SO
- Jimmy Van Ostrand RF-3-5, HR
Lancaster lost 4-2
- Jake Buchanan-6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 8/1 GO/AO
- Shane Wolf-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 2/0 GO/AO
- Jose Carlos Thompson DH-2-4, 2B
- Adam Bailey RF-2-4, HR
- Andrew Simunic CF, 2B-1-3, 2B, BB, SO
Lexington won 8-6
- Alex Sogard-4 1/3 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 8 SO, 1 HR, 3/0 GO/AO
- Brian Streilein-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Delino DeShields 2B-2-4, 2 SO, 2 SB
- Mike Kvasnicka 3B-2-5, 3 SO, SB
- Telvin Nash 1B-1-4, HR, BB, SO
- Ben Heath DH-0-2, 2 BB
- Emilio King RF-2-4, HR, PO, CS
- Ben Orloff SS-2-3, HR, BB
- Roberto Pena C-1-3, 2B, 2 SO
Tri-City lost 12-4
- Adam Champion-3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 2/3 GO/AO
- John Hinson 2B-2-5, SO
Greeneville won 6-5
- Jose Perdomo-4 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 4/2 GO/AO
- Rodney Quintero-1 2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- James Propst-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jordan Scott CF-2-5, BB
- Chase Davidson DH-1-4, HR, BB, 3 SO-Just keeps hitting bombs!
- Jesse Wierzbicki 1B-2-5, BB, SO, SB
- Darwin Rivera 3B-1-4, HR, 2 SO
- Chan Moon SS-2-4, HR, BB, SO
GCL Astros: Off
DSL Astros lost 14-8
- Reymin Guduan-2 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Yeudy Perdomo-1 2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO
- Mesac Laguna-1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO
- Mario Gonzalez-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 SO, 2/4 GO/AO-I don't understand how the left fielder and 1B can come in and pitch the most effective two innings of the game.
- Andru Sierra 3B-3-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Juan Santana SS-2-4, BB, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez RF-1-5, HR, 2 SO
- Mario Gonzalez 1B, P-2-5, HR-Good game at the plate and the mound!
- Jose Solano CF-2-5
- Michael Medina DH, 1B-1-4, HR-Four HR's for the season! Last years DSL Astros leader had two...
- Marlon Avea C-0-2, 2 BB, SO