The minor league side of trading with the Rockies has had some rough bumps so far this season but Xavier Cedeno has shown some flashes of ability. Last night was one of those flashes. He carried a no-hitter into the 8th inning before he gave up a measly single. Although he followed up the single with a strikeout before he left the game with 123 pitches thrown. That baserunner never scored has he was was thrown out trying to advance on a wild pitch.
Cedeno tied his season high of eight strikeouts although he did walk five batters. Cedeno has been pretty good this season but seems to get in a few jams. He either struggles for an inning or he gets in trouble with walks. If he is able to get passed those issues, he may be a solid lefty in the rotation. As with most lefty's, he doesn't throw hard but his bread butter is his faithful curve that was definitely on last night. He could locate it where he wanted to and it was effective. Unfortunately, not effective enough as the Hooks lost the game in the bottom of the 9th.
Fortunately, Cedeno wasn't the only player that brought his A game last night as there were tons of good performances, most notably in Lancaster. Jonathan Villar hit, what is much more common in slow pitch softball and little league, an inside the park home run. I really wish I could of either watched that or at least listened to that one.
Oklahoma City lost 8-5
- Sergio Perez-5 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 3 HR
- Brandon Barnes CF-3-5, 2 2B, 3B, SO-Awesome game! I'm looking forward to watching him tonight.
- Tommy Manzella SS-2-5, SO, SB
- Jose Vallejo 2B-2-4
Corpus Christi lost 2-1
- Xavier Cedeno-7 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 8 SO, 13/1 GO/AO-Great game, he had a no hitter going into the 8th inning.
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-1-5, 2B, SO
- Jon Gaston RF-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
- Jimmy Van Ostrand 1B-1-3, 2B, BB
- JD Martinez-1-1, RBI-He hit the go ahead RBI in the top of the 9th then pulled. He can hit but he can't quite run yet.
Lancaster won 13-4
- Zach Grimmett-4 2/3 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO, 2/2 GO/AO-This guy can really miss some bats.
- Jay Austin CF-25, BB, 2 SO
- Jonathan Villar SS-3-6, 2B, HR (inside the park), 2 SO
- Jose Altuve 2B-3-5
- Kody Hinze 1B-2-4, BB, SO
- Austin Wates LF-1-5, 2B
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-3-5, 2B, HR, SO
- Jose Carlos Thomson DH-2-5, HR, SO-Dude's killing it in Lancaster
- Ben Heath C-3-5, 2B
- Grant Hogue RF-4-5, SO, CS
- Yep, every batter was notable...
Lexington won 10-8
- Tanner Bushue-3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 SO, 4/0 GO/AO-Thats what I want to see from him. He was pulled early to ease him back in from being on the DL.
- Jio Mier SS-3-4, 2B, BB-Thats a .280 average now.
- Adam Baiely RF-3-4, 2B, BB
- Chris Wallace C-2-5, SO
- Emilio King LF-3-4, 2B, CS-His average is now a ridiculous .435