This has been a rough week for the minors as there has been a lot of losing. In the past two nights, only Lancaster and Lexington picked up wins, both last night. But, that's not how we evaluate around here. There have been some bad and some good outings over the past two nights, and that's how we evaluate.
There are a few transactions I'm going to point out before we get to the weekly awards though. First, Tanner Bushue has hit the DL after leaving early Thursday night. Brad Dydalewicz has been demoted to Extended Spring Training as he continues to struggle to repeat his delivery and pays the price for it. Jose Carlos Thompson was demoted to Lancaster and is responding well.
Pitcher of the Week: Ruben Alaniz
There weren't a whole lot of great starts this week. Lyles, Cisnero and Quevedo each had one but they all three had bad ones as well. But, Alaniz has been solid in two long relief appearances. He pitched ten innings and gave up four runs (three earned) on nine hits and two walks while striking out thirteen. With Dydalewicz demoted and Bushue on the DL, Alaniz should get his chance in the rotation now.
Hitter of the Week: Mike Kvasnicka
This may not be a popular pick for several reasons as he wasn't overly impressive versus some other guys, but that he has the stipulation of being considered an overdraft. But, this week, he hit 12-29 with four doubles and three walks while striking out six times. His defense is a work in progress but the fact is that he's hitting for a solid average over .300 and is drawing a few walks. His strikeout rate is a little too high for my liking and he's not hitting for much more than doubles power. The power has plenty of time to come around, but as of now he's hitting well enough to be in the lineup every day and get playing time.
Oklahoma City lost 9-8
- Henry Villar-5 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR, 8/2 GO/AO-The groundballs are at least there.
- Wesley Wright-1 2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Anderson Hernandez 2B, LF-1-5, HR, BB, CS, PO
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-4, 2B, 3B, 2 BB, SB-Solid game, I believe today is his birthday.
- Drew Locke RF-2-6, SO
- Robinson Cancel C-2-5, 2B, BB
- Brian Dopirak DH-3-4, 2B, BB
- Ozzie Navrro 3B-4-4, 2B, HR, BB
Corpus Christi lost 5-2
- Dallas Keuchel-5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 8/4 GO/AO-I'll take it for his first start since landing on the DL
- Matt Nevarez-1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Brandon Wikoff 2B-2-4-Still hitting
- Jeff Keppinger DH-1-3, BB, SO
- Jonathan Gaston RF-2-4, SO
Lancaster lost 9-7
- Robert Doran-3 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, HR
- Jay Austin LF-2-5, SO
- Jose Altuve 2B-1-5, 2B
- Austin Wates CF-2-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Erik Castro 1B-2-5, 2 SO
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-2-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Jose Carlos Thompson SS-2-5-He really likes Lancaster
- Grant Hogue RF-2-3, BB-He has quietly put togethe a solid season. He doesn't play everday but a .320 avg and .485 OBP is awesome.
Lexington lost 12-7
- Brady Dydalewicz-0 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, HR-I don't know what to say
- Ruben Alaniz-5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 SO, HR, 4/2 GO/AO-Personally, I'm high on this kid.
- Delino DeShields 2B-1-2, 2B, 2 BB, SO
- Tyler Burnett 1B-1-4, 2B, BB
- Mike Kvasnicka 3B-3-5, 2 2B, SO-Doubles power and high average. I like it so far.
- Emilio King LF-3-4-Where did his bat come from?
- Roberto Pena C-1-4, 2B, SO
Oklahoma City lost 2-1
- Jordan Lyles-7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 8/5 GO/AO-Solid game, good way to bounce back.
- Gustavo Chacin-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Max Ramirez C-3-4-JR Towles, watch your back
- JB Shuck LF-1-3, 2B, SB
Corpus Christi lost 11-2
- Kyle Greenwalt-4 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR, 7/2 GO/AO
- Jeff Keppinger 2B-1-3, HR, BB-Kepp Power!
- Jimmy Van Ostrand 1B-1-3, 2B, BB
- Jonathan Gaston RF-1-4, 3B, 3 SO
Lancaster won 5-1
- Jose Cisnero-7 2/3 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 SO, 8/4 GO/AO-GREAT GAME!
- Jose Altuve 2B-2-4, 2B, CS
- Erik Castro DH-2-4, SO
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-2-4, 2B
- Ben Heath C-1-4, 2B
- Grant Hogue RF-2-3, 2B, SB
Lexington won 5-4
- Carlos Quevedo-6 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 13 SO, 4 HR-Really looks like he made four big mistake pitches.
- Brian Streilein-2 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 SO
- Jio Mier SS-1-4, HR, SO, SB
- Adam Bailey RF-2-4, CS
- Mike Kvasnicka 3B-1-4, 2B
- Emilio King LF-3-4, SO, CS