Happy Loux Day! Today begins Barret Loux's free agency and the hopes of many local fans as well as many of are hoping we are the lucky winner of the Loux sweepstakes. There is already a fanpost on the subject, so go there for some discussion.
Jordan Lyles had another rough outing last night. The outing was cut short in the middle of the fifth inning due to rain, but it could very well have been for the best. Lyles threw 81 pitches (55 strikes) in four innings of work, that's at least twenty pitcher per inning, which is a little high. He really didn't have an easy inning. The first two innings had a lot of five and six pitch counts but the other two innings were peppered with a lot of hits. Lyles has already had a lot of stress on his arm this year with skipping a level and then moving up to AAA as well as being close to the high end of how many innings he should pitch this season. The stress in those innings tonight at times were pretty stressful towards the end of each inning. Pushing him on to about 100 pitches probably would have been a bad idea.
Even though he labored through the outing with twelve hits and seven runs (five earned), there were some bright spots. He struck out four and induced four groundouts to two flyouts. A lot of the hits were grounders that got out of the infield for hits. Thats going to happen when Edwin Maysonet, who is more of a second baseman, plays short-stop and Matt Kata, a man hanging on to the last strings of his career, plays 3B. The rest of the good news is that he wasn't named a September call-up nor was he named to an AFL roster, so he has only one start left at maximum before he gets to rest in the off-season.
Round Rock lost 7-0 (ended middle of the 5th because of rain delay)
- Jordan Lyles (5.40)-4 IP, 12 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO
- Only Collin DeLome and Matt Kata picked up hits.
Corpus Christi won 4-1
- Matt Lindstrom (0.00)-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Polin Trinidad (4.26)-8 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
- David Cook LF (.251)-2-5, 2 SO
- Michael Affronti 3B (.289)-2-4, HR, SO
- Wladimir Sutil SS (.276)-2-4
- Federico Hernandez C (.283)-2-4, SO
Lancaster lost 7-3
- Kyle Greenwalt (5.72)-6 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO-Ten groundouts and four flyouts (in Lancaster) is a good job. I expect a really good showing from him in the AFL and in CC next season.
- Jay Austin CF (.260)-1-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Jose Altuve 2B (.270)-1-3, 2B, BB, SO
- Bryce Lane RF (.355)-1-3, BB, SO
Lexington won 10-7
- Zachary Grimmett (4.61)-3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
- Brad Dydalewicz (6.75)-3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO-Eight groundouts to just one flyout makes this a really good outing.
- Jimmy Paredes 2B (.289)-4-5, 2B, SO, 4 SB-He's really good on the basepaths!
- Jio Mier SS (.241)-2-5, SO
- Jake Goebbert LF (.287)-1-3, 2B, BB, SO, SB
- Kody Hinze 1B (.272)-0-5, 4 SO!
- Ben Heath DH (.290)-1-3, HR, 2 BB, SO
- Jonathan Meyer 3B (.244)-1-4, 2B, BB, 2 SO
- Rene Garcia C (.262)-3-4, BB, SO
- Renzo Tello RF (.222)-1-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Grant Hogue CF (.279)-1-4, 2B, SO, SB
Tri-City won 4-0
- David Martinez (2.47)-7 IP, 8 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 SO-He wants to get some TCB love in the ValleyCat pitching discussion we've been having! He really deserves it.
- Joan Belliard (3.82)-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Ben Orloff 2B (.297)-1-4, 2 SB
- Austin Wates DH (.368)-1-3, 2 BB, SO, 3 SB
- Tyler Burnett 3B (.255)-2-4, BB, 2 SO, SB
Greeneville won 5-2
- Mike Foltynewicz (4.03)-4 2/3 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO-Seven groundouts and two flyouts. Really nice start to finish out the season.
- Paul Gerrish (4.56)-3 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 SO
- Delino DeShields Jr. CF (.313)-2-4, BB, SO, 2 SB
- Rafael Valenzuela 1B (.293)-2-5, 2 SO
- Telvin Nash DH (.265)-2-5, 2 SO
- Ricardo Garcia 2B (.246)-1-4, 2B, BB, SO