The California League is notorious for being tough for pitchers, but five of our Lancaster pitchers combined for a 10-inning no-hitter. Unfortunately, that no hitter allowed an unearned run in the bottom of the eighth. David Berner came in and walked the first batter but followed it up by two throwing errors on back-to-back bunts to him. That second throwing error brought a run in and tied the game. Still, ten innings of no-hit ball is quite impressive and deserves applause and congratulations. Robert Donovan has been struggling since he was called up from Lexington and this was a good bounce back for him. He was able to keep the ball down as well with eight groundouts to just three flyouts.
I want to highlight another player in Lancaster, except he is a hitter. Bryce Lane has been solid since he got his sudden and unexpected promotion. AppyAstros even brought up my initial reaction yesterday of him just filling a position for a little bit to prevent a organization wide wave of promotions. I still think that was the case, but Lane is making the most of it to put his name on the map. Small sample size aside, he's hitting well, drawing walks, and limiting his strikeouts. He only has twelve games left, but if he can make the most of it, he may be able to put himself much higher on the organizational depth chart to the point that he could start in a full-season league next year. He has a lot of power potential and hit 26 bombs this year for his community college. I don't care that it was with aluminum bats, that's a lot!
Round Rock lost 3-1
- Andy Van Hekken (4.03)-6 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
- Jack Shuck CF (.287)-0-2, 2 BB, SO
- Collin DeLome LF (.228)-0-4, 3 SO-He has struck out three times in each of the last three games. Nine strikeouts in three games is just terrible.
- Edwin Maysonet SS (.249)-2-4, 2B, SO
Corpus Christi lost 10-3
- Bubbie Buzachero (6.32)-3 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
- J.D. Martinez RF (.318)-0-3, BB, 2 SO
- David Cook DH (.255)-1-3, HR, BB, 2 SO
- Wladimir Sutil SS (.257)-1-2, 2B
- Federico Hernandez C (.286)-2-3, HR, BB
Lancaster won 3-1 (10 innings)
- Robert Donovan (7.36)-5 2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 SO
- Edwin Walker (5.08)-1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- David Carpenter (0.00)-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Jose Trinidad (3.68)-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO
- David Flores 3B (.265)-2-4, 2B, HR
- Bryce Lane LF (.316)-2-4, 2B
Lexington lost 13-1
- Zachary Grimmett (4.56)-3 2/3 IP, 7 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 4 BB, 1 SO, 2 HR
- Jio Mier SS (.238)-1-3, 2B, SO-In the last 10 games, he's posted an OPS of .981!
- Grant Hogue CF (.273)-2-3
Tri-City lost 10-3
- Jake Buchanan (4.08)-3 1/3 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO-Hey, but he did hit Derek Detrich with a pitch! That's what he gets for not signing!
- Ben Orloff SS (.311)-1-2, 2 BB
- Buck Afenir C (.266)-1-4, 2B, SO
Greeneville lost 10-1
- Euris Quezada (6.02)-4 1/3 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
- Rodney Quintero (0.00)-1 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Rafael Valenzuela 1B (.286)-2-4
- Ricardo Garcia 2B (.240)-1-1, 3 BB
- Hector Rodriguez 3B (.320)-1-3, 2B, 2 SO