A little later than the usual link dumps, yes, but the added benefit is this one will be current today's news. You know, like that Bazardo kid getting called up—the one that's out of options.
- Staying with Yorman Bazardo, McTaggart opines that Mike Hampton will be the guy who needs to sweat Bazardo's call up.
- JJO has some info on Lance Berkman's continual presence on the DL:
- Harry Pavlidis, the pitch/fx guru, has his notes on Bud Norris' debut, and he liked what he saw (there's a lot more than just this pithy quote I am about to present you):
- The Unofficial Scorer spells out the three most important rules that any baseball fan should know about the game:
- Richard Justice has the payroll argument with a reader who was not happy about the trade deadline. I went back and forth on liking him and totally disagreeing with him as I read it, but the gist of it is sound.
- The Astros somehow managed to lop two wins off their BtB's Poor Man's Projected Standings in 8 days...wow.
- And this is why extremism, no matter the subject, will never be beneficial.
"I thought I was going to (run), but they told me they didn't want me to run for a couple of days or at least another day," he said. "I think they want me to do some lighter stuff and see how it responds." Berkman is optimistic about returning soon. "I think I could definitely play right now," he said.I, myself, find Lance's statement that he's ready to play to be complete BS just because he was also able to play against the Cardinals even though he couldn't move. Just get well soon Lance—please.
With just three pitches and two speeds, he may get exposed at some point. But his stuff is good, and guys have done well with worse in this league.