Lancaster and Corpus have a couple of cool events coming up...
Lancaster is having Star Wars weekend on June 12-14
One of the promotional items is in the tweet below.
That is one cool bobble head. Jedi Altuve?! Are you kidding me?! Bravo Lancaster. Bravo. Our graphics jedi, Ryan Dunsmore, has to be licking his chops at trying to acquire one of these!
The Hooks have a pretty cool week ahead of them. First, they are playing at Minute Maid Park on June 10 versus the San Antonio Missions. Second, they are going to be on a national broadcast. CBS Sports is starting a new series called "Minor League Game of the Week." The interest in minor league baseball seems to be growing at a pretty rapid pace. I know I pay every year for MiLB.tv, so I think this is pretty cool.
Alright... and now for the baseball activities
Oklahoma City Redhawks at the Omaha Storm Chasers (KC)
Just an overall blah night for the offense in Omaha. Erik Castro was the bright spot of the evening with a 2B and a homer.
Brett Oberholtzer got touched up pretty bad also. He was rocked for 3 homeruns in 6 innings pitched. Old Astros Justin Maxwell and Jimmy Paredes were responsible for 2 of those homeruns. Kevin Chapman looked sharp in relief.
Redhawks lose 6-3. Record is at 32-29.
Tweet of the Game
RedHawks went 11 straight games w/o allowing a HR until Justin Maxwell's two-run homer in the 1st inning. First allowed by a starter in 16 G— Alex Freedman (@azfreedman) June 6, 2014
- DH, Austin Wates - 1/3, R, BB, SB
- 2B, Kike Hernandez - 1/4, R
- RF, Marc Krauss - 1/3, RBI, BB, K
- LF, Domingo Santana - 1/4, 2B, RBI, K (this kid is so underrated)
- C, Max Stassi - 1/4, K
- 1B, Erik Castro - 2/4, R, 2B, HR, RBI, K
- LHP, Brett Oberholtzer - 6.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, BB, 6 K, 3 HR
- LHP, Kevin Chapman - 1.0 IP, K
Corpus Christi Hooks at the Midland Rockhounds (OAK)
Corpus decided to go the opposite of Lancaster in June. They have lost 4 in a row, 3 of those games being by only 1-run and the other game by 2 runs. The offense is scuffling pretty bad right now and the pitching just can't overcome it.
The Hooks shuffled the lineup in this game, and Delino Deshields and Preston Tucker seemed to respond well to it. Tucker drew 3 walks and blasted a homer. DDJ added 2 hits to the night. Outside of those 2, the rest of the Hooks were 3/26 on the night.
Hauschild allowed 9 hits, but was able to limit the damage to only 3 runs. He didn't walk anyone and struck out 5. Hauschiled has a 24:2 K/BB ratio on the Hooks. His hate for walking people make me love him. Alex Sogard had a nice night too, striking out 3 in 3 innings pitched.
Corpus Christi loses 3-2, dropping to 29-30 on the year.
Tweet of the Game
Gritty performance by Mike Hauschild tonight...yields 3 runs on 9 hits in 5.0 innings. Hauschild did not issue a walk, fanned 5 & stranded 5— Corpus Christi Hooks (@cchooks) June 6, 2014
- SS, Nolan Fontana - 0/4, 2 K
- LF, Leo Heras - 1/4, K
- RF, Preston Tucker - 1/1, R, HR, RBI, 3 BB
- CF, Delino Deshields Jr. - 2/4, RBI
- RHP, Mike Hauschild - 5.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 K
- LHP, Alex Sogard - 3.0 IP, 3 K
Inland Empire 66ers (LAA) at the Lancaster Jethawks
This Lancaster team is a raging bull. They are destroying their competition lately. They are belittling the Cal League to the point that other teams are probably considering bullying charges. They are undefeated in the month of June (5-0) and have outscored their opponents 45-24 in those games.
Everyone's favorite Baby 'Stro Yoga instructor hit for the cycle, Mr. Dan Gulbransen. The other Jethawks were all showing off their downward dog while Gulbransen was performing a Lotus head stand with bound legs. Overall, Dan was 4 for 5 on the night with 6 RBIs. Teoscar added 3 hits, including a homer, and Tony Kemp and Rio Ruiz also added homerun. Carlos Correa decided to be a Wander boy and draw 3 walks. The wind was blowing out to RF at 18 mph, so this was more than likely "one of those nights" at the Hangar.
The Jethawk pitching staff managed to limit the damage in the ideal hitting conditions. Brian Holmes went 7 innings allowing 4 earned off 2 HRs with 2 BBs and 3 Ks.
Lancaster wins 16-7 to improve to 39-23 on the season.
Tweet of the Day (Lancaster summed up by Tony Kemp perfectly)
Oh and free tacos people!
Dan GulBOMBsen! Mammoth 3-run homer puts the #JetHawks up 10-2 and gives our great Thursday night crowd FREE TACOS!— Lancaster JetHawks (@JetHawks) June 6, 2014
- 2B, Tony Kemp - 2/6, R, HR, RBI, K
- CF, Teoscar Hernandez - 3/4, 3 R, HR, RBI, BB, K, SB (20 steals on the season)
- SS, Carlos Correa - 1/1, 4 R, 3B, RBI, 3 BB, SB (18 steals on the season)
- 3B, Rio Ruiz - 2/5, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI, K
- C, Roberto Pena - 2/4, R, RBI, BB, K
- 1B, Conrad Gregor - 1/3, R, 2 BB (average fell to .438, SSS)
- DH, Dan Gulbransen - 4/5, 2 R, 2B, 3B, HR, 6 RBI, K
- RF, Ruben Sosa - 1/5, 2B, RBI, K, SB
- LF, Jordan Scott - 0/4, RBI, K
- LHP, Brian Holmes - 7.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR
- LHP, JD Osborne - 1.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- LHP, Mitchell Lambson - 0.2 IP
Quad Cities River Bandits at the Burlington Bees (LAA)
The River Bandits are struggling and continue to under perform their pythagorean record. Pretty quiet day at the plate for most of our young 'Stros. Chan Moon and Tanner Mathis recorded a lot of hits, but other than that the box score looks like a binary code of mostly zeros. Michael Feliz didn't allow but 1 earned run, but he walked 4 while striking out 6. Tyler Brunnemann took the tough luck loss as the only run he allowed was unearned. This team may be getting an influx of new blood soon after the draft is over and some of these college bats like Derek Fisher and AJ Reed sign.
Quad Cities loses 2-1 to fall to 30-29 on the season (their pythagorean record is 35-24)
- LF, Tanner Mathis - 2/3, R, K
- 2B, Chan Moon - 2/4
- CF, Brett Phillips - 0/4, 3 K
- RF, Ronnie Mitchell - 1/2, BB
- RHP, Michael Feliz - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, 1 HR
- LHP, Chris Cotton - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K
- RHP, Tyler Brunnemann - 2.0 IP, 1 R, BB, K
DSL Astros Orange at the DSL Yankees2
Not a day for pitchers on this field in the Dominican Republic. Cristopher Luciano had himself a day with 4 hits and a homer shy of the cycle. The pitching got lit up like a doobie in Denver. Not much else to say about this one.
DSL Astros Orange lose 15-16 and fall to 0-5 on the season.
- 3B, Rodrigo Ayarza - 2/5, R, 3 RBI, BB, K, 2 SB
- C, Ihan Bernal - 1/3, 3 R, 2B, RBI, 3 BB, K
- 1B, Crisotpher Luciano - 4/4, 2 R, 2B, 3B, 4 RBI, BB
- DH, Jesus Bermejo - 1/3, 2 R, 2 BB, K
- CF, Vicente Sanchez - 1/3, 3 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, K
- LHP, Edwin Villareal - 4.1 IP, 12 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
DSL Rays at the DSL Astros Blue
He's a wonder, that Wander Franco. I am starting to have an unhealthy obsession with this kid. He added a hit, and 3 more walk to make his BB:K ratio 11:0 in 5 games played. He's the Dominican god of walks. In my short and extremely non-researched experience, Dominican kids usually have a hard time showing plate discipline. They tend to be more free swinger types, but this kid is breaking the mold. The more I look, this team is breaking the mold. They drew 9 walks while striking out 8 times. Salvador Montano pitched well, striking out 5 through 4 while only walking 1. Keep an eye on this Astros Blue team.
The Blue team wins 6-2 to improve to 4-1 on the season.
DSL Tweet of the Day
- LF, Edgar Lorenzo - 1/5, R, 2B, RBI, 2 K
- CF, Nestor Tejada - 1/4, R, RBI
- 3B, Wander Franco - 1/2, 2 R, 3 BB
- 1B, Connor MacDonald - 1/4, RBI, BB
- SS, Joan Mauricio - 2/5, 3B, 2 RBI
- 2B, Jonathan Matute - 0/3, R, 2 BB, 2 K
- C, Oliver Toribio - 0/3, R, 2 BB, 2 K
- DH, Hayden Timberlake - 1/3, RBI, K
- RF, Juan Fuentes - 1/2, BB, K
- LHP, Salvador Montano - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- RHP, Abdiel Saldana, 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, K
- RHP, Gabriel Valdez, 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 K