Well here are the cold hard facts. All of our minor clubs lost last night. And one of them lost twice.
But despite all of those additions to the "L" column, there were a few good performances Thursday night. Here's a recap of last night's Astros minor league games:
AAA: Redhawks are Shut Out, Split Series with Red Rock
OKC hitters faced off against Nick Tepesch, the recent PCL Pitcher of the Week, who was coming off of a complete game shutout. The Redhawks rounded up 6 hits, but couldn't get a run across the plate.
Starter Nick Tropeano dropped to 1-2, giving up two runs and a homer.
There were a couple of bright spots in the shut out. Ronald Torreyes reached base three times, and Chia-Jen Lo made a solid relief appearance, including three strikeouts. Lo has given up no runs in his last five appearances.
- Ronald Torreyes, SS: 2-3, HBP
- Robbie Grossman, CF: 1-4, 2B
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-4, SO
- Max Stassi, C: 1-3, SO
- Nick Tropeano, P (L, 1-2): 5.0 IP, 4H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 1HR, 4K
- Chia-Jen Lo, P: 1.2 IP, 1H, 3K
- Rhiner Cruz, P: 1.0 IP, 1K
- Kevin Chapman, P: 2.0 IP, 1R, 1ER
AA: Hooks Drop Third in a Row to Midland, 6-5
Corpus Christi cut the Rockhounds' lead to 1 with RBIs from Matt Duffy and Leo Heras. It wasn't enough to get the win.
Brady Rodgers got off to a rough start, giving up four runs in the first inning. He recovered for three scoreless innings, but Midland scored in the sixth and seventh against the Hooks' bullpen to extend their lead.
- Chris Epps, DH: 1-4, 1HR, 1RBI, 1BB, 3SO
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 3-4, 3H, 2 2B, 1 3B
- Matt Duffy, 3B: 1-4, 1H, 2RBI, 1BB, 1SO
- Leo Heras, LF: 2-5, 2H, 1 3B, RBI
- Brady Rodgers, P (L, 1-3): 4.1 IP, 6H, 4R, 4ER, 1BB, 3Ks
- Travis Ballew, P: 1.2 IP, 2H, 1R, 2BB, 1K
- Pat Urckfitz, P: 2.0 IP, 2H, 1R, 1K
A+: Lancaster Loses, Split Series with High Desert, 13-7
The JetHawks threatened a 10-run lead in the bottom of the ninth at the Hanger, but 4 more runs wasn't enough to earn them the win.
Despite getting 8 strikeouts, Chris Devenski dropped to 1-4 with a loss after giving up the first 4 runs on 6 hits. None of the JetHawks pitchers would go without allowing a run against the hot bats of the Mavericks, who scored 13 runs on 15 hits.
Roberto Peña capped off a good night at the plate with a 3-run double in the ninth. And despite good hitting performances from other JetHawks, the home team couldn't manage a win.
- Anthony Kemp, 2B: 2-4, 2H, 1RBI, 1BB
- Rio Ruiz, 3B: 2-4, 2H, 1R, 2SO
- Dan Gulbransen, DH: 0-3, 2H, RBI, 2BB, SO
- Danny Vasquez, RF: 1-4, 1H, 1R, 1 2B, 2RBI, BB, SO
- Roberto Peña, C: 2-4, 2H, 1R, 1 2B, 3RBIs, BB
- Chris Devenski, P (L, 1-4): 4.0 IP, 6H, 5R, 4ER, 2BB, 8Ks
- J.D. Osborne, P: 1.2 IP, 5H, 5R, 5ER, 2BB
A-: Quad Cities Drops 2 Games to Clinton
The River Bandits have been playing a ton of baseball in two days. Thursday night they lost both ends of a double header against the LumberKings.
Brian Holberton extended his hitting streak to 9 games with a double and a homerun in Game 1 on Thursday night. The River Bandits sixth inning rally wasn't enough to overcome a 4-run deficit from the third inning on.
- Brett Phillips, CF: 1-4, 1H, 12B, 1RBI, SO
- Brian Holberton, C: 3-3, 3H, 2R, 1 2B, HR, 1 RBI
- Alex Gonzales, 3B: 1-2, 1H, 1R, 1RBI, BB
- Andrew Thurman, P (L, 2-2): 2.0 IP, 4H, 3R, 3ER, 4BB, 2Ks
- Chris Cotton, P: 3.0 IP, 3H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 1K
The River Bandits couldn't find as much offense in Game 2 of the day, managing a run on 4 hits. After
2 days of double headers, it was time to start bringing in position players to pitch in the late innings. Alex Gonzales was called on to pitch in the top of the 7th and gave up 3 runs and a homer to earn the loss.
Quad Cities dropped the second game of their doubleheader, 3-1.
- Brett Phillips, RF: 2-3, 2H, 1R, 1 2B, 1 3B
- James Ramsay, CF: 2-3, 2H, 1 2B
- Chris Lee, P: 4.0 IP, 0H, 0R, 6BB, 3Ks
- Tyler Brunnemann, p (H, 1): 1.0 IP, 1K
- Alex Gonzales (BS, 1)(L, 0-1): 1.0 IP, 3H, 3R, 3ER, 1HR, 1K