Let's kick this off with one of the best spring quotes around. From Ernie Harwell (and the Song of Solomon):
"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."
Such a great way to kick off the spring. Since pitcher and catchers report on Friday, it's time to throw out a few fearless predictions about what will happen in the next few weeks. I'm pretty sure these should last at least 24 hours before Jeff Luhnow proves me wrong. So, here are 10 things that will happen in the next four weeks.
1. Lucas Harrell will learn a new pitch, or will have possibly tweaked his fastball in some way.
2. Chris Carter will have retooled his swing.
3. First base will be such a mess that it gets everyone's hopes up for Jon Singleton on Opening Day.
4. Jon Singleton will be sent down to minor league camp.
5. George Springer will hit a home run 500 feet, nailing an alligator just as it tries to attack an unsuspecting dog walker. No one will laud him because George Springer is the hero the Astros deserve, but not the one it needs right now.
6. The closer battle will leave everyone underwhelmed, leaving some to panic about the state of the bullpen prematurely.
7. Carlos Correa will inspire at least five gush-fest stories on his play with the big league team this spring.
8. DDJ will steal 10 bases in spring games. He will still not be on any Top 100 prospect lists.
9. Jesus Guzman will lead the Astros in home runs in the Grapefruit League.
10. Jose Altuve will have an excellent spring.