Star Light Star Bright, All-Stars I See Tonight
The Texas League announced its All-Stars this week, and six Astros minor leaguers made the cut. Catcher Rene Garcia and outfielder George Springer were named as starters, and outfielder Domingo Santana was named a reserve. Additionally, three pitchers made the South Division team: Jake Buchanan, Michael Foltynewicz, and David Martinez. Not a lot of surprises here, as Springer's 18 home runs leads the minor leagues; Buchanan's 0.80 ERA and Martinez's 9 wins lead the Texas League.
Earlier this month, the California League announced its All-Stars. Lancaster contributed three players - Outfielder Andrew Aplin was named a starter. His fellow outfielder, Preston Tucker, was named as a reserve. Pitcher Brady Rodgers was also named to the team.
The Midwest League also named their All-Star team earlier this month. Three Quad Cities River Bandits made the team: Carlos Correa will be the starting shortstop for the Western Division, and pitchers Jordan Jankowski and Lance McCullers will be joining him in Dayton.
Voting is still underway for the Pacific Coast League All-Stars.
While the Astros' 2013 draft was underway, a press release went out that heavily featured the top two picks in the 2012 draft: Carlos Correa and Lance McCullers were named the Quad Cities Player and Pitcher of the month, respectively, for the month of May. Theron Geith and Preston Tucker won the awards for Lancaster; Jake Buchanan and Erik Castro in Corpus Christi; and Bretts Wallace and Oberholtzer for Oklahoma City.
Zip on Out to Davenport
Modern Woodmen Park's renovation took a step forward as the Davenport City Council voted Monday to approve a measure allowing the River Bandits to close the street in front of the park for two hours before and after each game in order for fans to take advantage of the new zipline that was unveiled at last night's game.
Getting Their Hooks in the Draft
Over at MiLB.com, Michael Point has a nice article on the draft. Of course, it brings up names like Jason Jennings, Woody Williams, and Kenny Baugh, but hey. You can't win 'em all.
What Happened Was...
Oklahoma City RedHawks (AAA) - In their last home day game until the regular season finale on September 2nd, the RedHawks ran Asher Wojciechowski out to the mound to take on the Iowa Cubs (CHC). RedHawks First Baseman kept up his torrid pace - over his last ten games, he's hitting .357/.438/.524 - with his second-straight multihit game. Jonathan Villar and Che-Hsuan Lin contributed a pair of stolen bases each as the RedHawks rolled to an 8-5 victory. Congratulations to Ian Stewart for actually contributing a hit for Iowa in his last game before being suspended for his late-night Twitter ranting.
Oklahoma City: 34-28, t-1st, Pacific Coast League American Southern Division
- LF Robbie Grossman - 0/2, R, 2 BB
- 2B Jose Martinez - 1/5, 2B, RBI, E
- 1B RedHawks First Baseman - 3/4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB
- DH Marc Krauss - 0/4, 2 K
- CF Che-Hsuan Lin - 0/2, R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- SS Jonathan Villar - 0/1, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- RF Andrew Simunic - 1/3, 3 RBI, SB
- C Cody Clark - 2/4, R
- RHP Asher Wojciechowski - 5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- LHP Kevin Chapman - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- LHP Alex Sogard - 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- RHP Rhiner Cruz - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- RHP Jose Valdez - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- LF-CF George Springer - 1/5, 2B, R, 4 K
- C Rene Garcia - 1/5, R, K
- 1B Jonathan Singleton - 2/4, 3B, R, 2 RBI, BB, K
- CF Justin Maxwell - 1/4, RBI
- RF Domingo Santana - 1/4, HR, R, RBI, K
- 2B Enrique Hernandez - 3/4, 2B, 3B, HR, R, RBI
- SS Jiovanni Mier - 2/4, R, K, SB
- RHP Michael Foltynewicz - 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- RHP David Martinez - 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- SS Nolan Fontana - 0/4, 2 K
- 2B Joe Sclafani - 2/4, 2 2B, R, K
- RF Preston Tucker - 4/4, 2 2B, R, RBI
- 1B M.P. Cokinos - 1/4, 2B, 2 RBI, K
- LHP Luis Cruz - 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- LHP Kyle Hallock - 3.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- RHP Travis Ballew - 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- CF Teoscar Hernandez - 0/3, 2 R, 2 BB
- SS Carlos Correa - 2/2, 3 R, 3 BB, SB
- 1B Jesse Wierzbicki - 3/5, HR, 3 R, 4 RBI, K
- 3B Rio Ruiz - 1/4, RBI, 3 K, SB
- 2B Catfish Elkins - 0/2, 2 BB, K, SB
- RHP Lance McCullers - 4.0 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- RHP Daniel Minor - 3.1 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- RHP John Neely - 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- CF Luis Payano - 0/4, 3 K
- 2B Arturo Michelena - 2/4, 2 2B, R, BB, K
- RF Brauly Mejia - 1/2, 2B, R, 2 BB
- C Marlon Avea - 1/3, 2B, R
- DH Jesus Bermejo - 1/4, RBI, 2 K
- RHP Harold Arauz - 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- RHP Joselo Pimenez - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- RHP Gerardo Juarez - 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- RHP Angel Heredia - 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- LHP Javier Saucedo - 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K