Who's On First?
I don't know why, but this line from the official RedHawks gamer for Sunday's Oklahoma City game makes me laugh:
Shane Peterson hit an RBI single, and RedHawks first baseman committed a throwing error later on the play to bring home another run.
"RedHawks first baseman," of course, is Brett Wallace. But he might be well-served to change his name legally to RedHawks first baseman. It has a nice ring to it.
Honey, I'm Home... You Got a Lot of 'Splaining to Do!
Since being traded to Oakland for Travis Blackley, Jacob Goebbert has feasted on Houston's minor league pitching. Through 12 games, he's hitting .349/.423/.605 against his former team after a great game yesterday, in which he went 1/4 with a double, a run scored, a walk, a hit by pitch, 2 RBI, and a sacrifice fly.
Selling the Minors
Minor League Baseball released their licensed merchandise sales list, and once again the Corpus Christi Hooks are among the national leaders. 160 domestic-based teams participate in the venture, and the Hooks have been in the Top 25 every year since they were introduced in 2005. With the sale of the Hooks to the Astros, this is exciting news for several reasons. First, those merchandise sales will serve to boost the team's revenue. Second, we talked about the chance to "expand the brand" in the podcast by selling Astros merchandise alongside Hooks merchandise in the team store. This shows a willingness among the Corpus Christi community to use their dollars in support of their team, and this shows that this might very well be a viable tactic in South Texas.
What Happened Was...
Oklahoma City RedHawks (AAA) - The good news? Oklahoma City hitters struck out only twice. The bad news? Asher Wojciechowski struggled allowing 8 runs (7 earned) over five innings, including three home runs as the RedHawks fell to the Fresno Grizzlies (SFG) 10-3. Fernando Martinez and Brandon Laird both enjoyed multi-hit games, but ultimately they weren't enough to overcome the Fresno bats.
Oklahoma City: 25-18, 1st Pacific Coast League American Southern Division
- SS Jonathan Villar - 0/4, K, 2 E
- 1B RedHawks First Baseman - 1/4
- 3B Brandon Laird - 2/3, 2B, R,
- DH Fernando Martinez - 3/4, HR, R, 2 RBI
- CF Che-Hsuan Lin - 1/3, 2B, BB, K, SB
- C Carlos Perez - 1/4, 2B, R
- RHP Asher Wojciechowski - 5 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- RHP Philip Humber - 2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- LHP Alex Sogard - 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Corpus Christi: 25-19, 1st Texas League South
- SS Jiovanni Mier - 1/4, BB, K, CS
- CF George Springer - 1/4, BB, 2 K, CS
- RF Domingo Santana - 1/4, 2 R, 3 K, HBP
- 1B Erik Castro - 3/4, 2B, HR, 3 R, 3 RBI, BB, K, E
- 3B Jonathan Meyer - 2/4, 2B, R, BB, K
- C Max Stassi - 1/4, R, RBI, K, E
- LF Michael Burgess - 2/4, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI, K
- DH Zach Johnson - 1/3, HR, R, 2 RBI
- RHP Ruben Alaniz - 4 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- RHP Jorge De Leon - 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, HBP
- LHP Pat Urckfitz - 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- RHP Andrew Robinson - 0.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- LHP Kenny Long - 0.1 IP, 2 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- RHP Matthew Heidenreich - 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Lancaster: 24-20, 2nd California League South (1.5 GB)
- 2B Delino DeShields - 0/1, K, HBP, E
- 2B Jean Batista - 1/2, R, BB
- SS Joe Sclafani - 2/3, RBI, BB, SF, E
- CF Andrew Aplin - 1/5, 2B, R, RBI
- RF Preston Tucker - 3/3, R, RBI, BB, SF
- 1B Telvin Nash - 2/5, HR, R, 3 RBI, 2 K
- C Tyler Heineman - 0/4, BB, K, E
- LF Chris Epps - 2/3, 2 2B*, 2 R, 2 BB
- RHP Tyson Perez - 2 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, WP, HBP
- LHP Theron Geith - 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- LHP David Rollins - 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- RHP Michael Dimock - 2 IP, 0 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
Quad Cities - 23-20, 3rd Midwest League Western (7.0 GB)
- CF Teoscar Hernandez - 1/4, R, K, SB
- 1B Miles Hamblin - 0/4, 2 K
- 3B Rio Ruiz - 0/2, RBI, BB, K, SF
- RHP Mike Hauschild - 5 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- LHP Colton Cain - 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, IBB, 2 K, WP, HBP
- LHP Mitchell Lambson - 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- RHP Cameron Lamb - 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K