Let's start off with some stories out of Lancaster. I saw a tweet from Aaron West yesterday afternoon that you can't help but have to read more than once
homeless lady walk's into the restaurant we are at. She walked over and said I am homeless and hungry and grabbed @tballew18 plate and left— Aaron West (@WestAaron14) April 24, 2013
Yeah...how often does that happen to you? He also told me that they just sat there in shock as she walked away and out the door, and then all just broke out in laughter. That's really all you can do in that situation. What would you do? She stole, but she was also hungry and obviously desperate. The randomness and oddness of the situation creates an inability to even get mad.
The other story is that players may be sharing secrets with each other in their success. Brandon Meredith isn't exactly known to get hit by a lot of pitches like his teammate Matt Duffy is. But, last night he took two pitches on the body and he told me on twitter that he'll do just about anything to get on-base at this point. Gotta love the effort and willingness to do what it takes.
Oklahoma City Mourns the Loss of Robbie Grossman to the Majors by Taking the Night Off
Wojo's Streak Scoreless Streak Ends in 6-3 Win
Asher Wojciechowski ended the 2012 season with a 13 inning scoreless streak and he continued it for the next 20 innings to start the 2013 season. His overall total was 33 innings and is now the Corpus Christi Hooks franchise record! The streak came to an end in the third inning of his five inning outing. Despite his streak ending, Wojo put together another solid outing by picking up six strikeouts. Last nights game also included former Astros farm-hand Jacob Goebbert who went 2-3 with two walks, a strikeout and a stolen base. Bitter? How dare they trade him!
- Asher Wojciechowski-5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 5/2 GO/AO, 80/47 P/S
- David Martinez-3 1/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 5/2 GO/AO, 56/37 P/S
- Jason Stoffel-2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO
- George Springer CF-1-3, 2B, 2 SO
- Carlos Perez C-1-3, HR, BB, 2 SO
- Rene Garcia DH-3-4, 2B
JetHawks Get Patient!
In the California League, everyone loves the long ball! It's easier to do there, so why not? Well, Lancaster bucked the trend and drew nine walks last night, and over half came from an obvious source and a not-so-obvious source. Nolan Fontana drew three and Telvin Nash drew two....WHHAAAAATT?!?!?! Hey, he didn't strikeout either! In two games, he has three walks and two strikeouts, small sample size is in play but it's at least encouraging.
- Tyson Perez-5 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 5/2 GO/AO, 73/43 P/S
- David Rollins-4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO, 5/3 GO/AO, 43/34 P/S
- Nolan Fontana SS-2-3, 3 BB
- Matt Duffy 3B-3-5, BB, SO-Returned from ankle sprain
- Preston Tucker RF-1-5, 2B, BB, SO, OF Assist
- Telvin Nash 1B-2-3, 2B, 2 BB, E
- Chris Epps LF-2-5, 2 2B
- Brandon Meredith DH-0-2, BB, SO, 2 HBP