Second baseman Carlos Perdomo was promoted from Quad Cities to Lancaster to help the ailing Jethawks, with Alex Gillingham and Tyler Heineman moving to the 7-day DL and Delino DeShields still being hampered by an injury - and it's a good thing he did, as he was pressed into service in the extra inning for the Jethawks last night, albeit it for the exact duration of one pitch. Outfielder Chris Epps was also activated from the Temporary Inactive list. Whatever that is.
Ballew it By 'Em
When Travis Ballew left Kissimmee for the California high desert, he never imagined that he'd need to bring long sleeves - but as he took the mound in the 9th inning last night for Lancaster, no doubt the 39-degree weather made him wish he'd done a little research. Maybe that's why he worked so quickly, striking out all six Mavericks batters he faced over 2 innings in relief.
We're inching closer and closer to June, when Modern Woodmen Park - home of the Quad Cities River Bandits - will unveil a new Ferris wheel, which will stand 112 feet over the playing field. Along with the Ferris wheel, the park will feature two zip lines, a carousel, bouncy houses, and a Frog Hopper (whatever that is.) If that isn't enough reason to plan a trip to Davenport, oh yeah, they've also got the #1 overall pick in the 2012 draft, Carlos Correa, playing for the team.
Speaking of #1...
I got turned on to some video taken by Tommy Cook over at Shadows of Wrigley of a Correa home run against Kane County earlier this season. It landed over 25 feet past the left field fence, and it's a fun one to watch:
Including the end of the 2012 season, Asher Wojciechowski has allowed just 1 earned run over his last 6 starts: 31.2 IP, 0.28 ERA, 25 K, 6 BB. He leads the Texas League this season with an ERA of 0.00 over 14 IP. San Antonio's Burch Smith also has a 0.00 ERA, over 11 IP.
What Happened Was...
Oklahoma City RedHawks (AAA) - Jurickson Profar hit his first Triple-A home run and his first Triple-A triple (!) for the Round Rock Express (TEX) last night, ending the day 3/5 with 3 RBI and a run scored and leading his team to victory over the RedHawks, 8-6. Eight different RedHawks had hits, but none had more than one. Marc Krauss led the way with a 2-run double in the eighth inning and Jake Elmore extended his hitting streak to 11 games, but the RedHawks weren't able to overcome a rocky outing by Brett Oberholtzer.
- Jonathan Villar (SS) - 1/5, RBI
- Jake Elmore (2B) - 1/2, 2 BB, HBP, RBI, 2 SB, CS
- Fernando Martinez (RF) - 1/5, R, 3 K
- Brandon Laird (1B) - 1/5, R, 2 K
- Jimmy Paredes (3B) - 1/4, R, 2 K, SB
- Trevor Crowe (LF) - 1/4, R
- Marc Krauss (DH) - 1/4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Che-Hsuan Lin (CF) - 1/2, R, RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Cody Clark (C) - 0/2, R, RBI, 2 K
- Brett Oberholtzer (LHP) - 5 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR
- Austin Wates (LF) - 2/5, 3B, K
- George Springer (CF) - 1/3, HR, R, RBI, BB, CS
- Carlos Perez (DH) - 1/2, BB, HBP
- Jiovanni Mier (SS) - 1/4, R, 2 K
- Rene Garcia (C) - 1/4, HR, R, 2 RBI, K
- Ruben Alaniz (RHP) - 5 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, L
- Matthew Heidenreich (RHP) - 1.1 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3 HR
- Nolan Fontana (SS) - 1/3, 2 BB, K
- Andrew Aplin (CF) - 1/4, 2B, BB
- Zach Johnson (1B) - 1/4, 2B, R, RBI, K
- Preston Tucker (LF) - 3/5, HR, 2 R, RBI, K
- Matt Duffy (3B) - 1/5, 2B, R, RBI, 2 K
- Drew Muren (RF) - 3/4, 2B, RBI, BB
- MP Cokinos (C) - 1/4, BB, 2 K, CS
- Chris Epps (DH) - 1/4, RBI, 2 K
- Aaron West (RHP) - 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR
- Luis Cruz (LHP) - 3 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, HR, WP
- Travis Ballew (RHP) - 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Thomas Shirley (LHP) - 0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR
- Joe Sclafani (2B) - 0/1, R, 3 BB
- Carlos Correa (SS) - 0/3, RBI, BB, K
- Chase Davidson (DH) - 1/2, 2B, 2 BB, SB
- Rio Ruiz (3B) - 0/3, 2 K
- Jobduan Morales (C) - 0/1, R, 2 BB, K
- Ariel Ovando (RF) - 0/3, 3 K
- Terrell Joyce (LF) - 1/3, 2B, R, RBI, K
- Lance McCullers (RHP) - 2.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, L
- Mitchell Lambson (LHP) - 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Cameron Lamb (RHP) - 1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Jesse Wierzbicki (1B) - 2/3, CS
- Rio Ruiz (DH) - 0/1, R, 2 BB, K
- Austin Elkins (2B) - 1/2, R, RBI
- Ryan Dineen (3B) - 1/2, 2B, 2 RBI
- Daniel Minor (RHP) - 4 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
- Michael Dimock (RHP) - 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K