Wates opened the game with a homerun and it would prove to be all the team needed to best the Springfield Cardinals (STL), though Domingo Santana also blasted his second homer of the year. Not to be outdone, Santana also stole his first base of the season.
- Austin Wates, LF: 3/4, 3B, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Jiovanni Mier, SS: 1/3, 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Michael Burgess, DH: 2/5, 2 2B
- Domingo Santana, RF: 1/2, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, SB
- David Martinez, RHP: 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 3 K
- Asher Wojciechowski, RHP: 4 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 4 K
Back to the Future
The Lancaster Jethawks returned to Modesto, the site of their California League championship in 2012. The Modesto Nuts' (COL) highly-touted offense was expected to challenge Lancaster's pitchers, headlined by the piggyback starters David Rollins and Tyson Perez. But Rollins and Perez combined for the complete game, allowing a single (unearned) run on just four hits - and those all came in the first two innings - as the Jethawks won, 5-1.
Rollins now sports a 2-0 record, 0.00 ERA, and a 1.13 WHIP through his first 8 innings, with 9 strikeouts and a single walk. When I asked him what the key is to pitching in the daunting California League, he replied: "Just keep the ball down and pitch in and you'll be fine." Of course, he admitted, it doesn't hurt that he doesn't have to face the Jethawks lineup.
The Jethawks improve to 6-1 on the season and will face Modesto again tonight at 7:05 Pacific time. You can listen to Jason Schwartz live with the call via Gameday Audio.
- Nolan Fontana, SS: 1/5, 2B
- Zachary Johnson, DH: 1/4, R, BB
- Preston Tucker, LF: 2/4, 2B, R, BB
- Matt Duffy, 3B: 1/3, R, RBI
- Drew Muren, RF: 2/4, 2 R, RBI
- MP Cokinos, C: 2/4, RBI
- David Rollins, LHP: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K