I bet this guy can RAKE!
Last night was a night of putting my foot in my own mouth. Yesterday morning, I wrote about the Lancaster playoff rotation and the use of Tyson Perez as the #1 starter and how Nick Tropeano and David Martinez have been better pitchers. However, I did mention that Perez has pitched some of the best games for Lancaster this year and provides a better chance of pitching a gem. Well, Perez did that last night. Perez gave the JetHawks every opportunity to win with allowing just one run to be put up on the board. He struck out eight in seven innings and gave up just one walk and three hits.
Perez had to take the loss as he received no run support at all. But, Delino DeShields Jr. almost put a run up with near solo shot that ended as flyout to CF on the warning track in front of the fence 425 feet from home plate. Lancaster radio voice, Jason Schwartz, called it the hardest hit ball he's seen from DDJ.
Also, I wrote in a comment to a response about how good Joe Sclafani has been this season that he need to drive the ball more and not hit so many flyballs. Well, foot inserted into mouth yet again. Sclafani hit his first professional home run last night for Tri-City. Touche!
So, for those of you who haven't heard, the Astros have this ridiculous 20 year old 1B prospect that just wrecks the ball down in AA. His name, Jonathan Singleton. Not only did he hit 21 home runs during the season, his power is still showing up! He doubled in the first inning and then homered in the eighth inning as well! Just as a reminder, he is a left handed batter and his home run was to left field...OPPO TACO!
Corpus Christi Hooks lost 6-5
- Paul Clemens-2 2/3 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 6/1 GO/AO, 51 pitches
- Erick Abreu-4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3/3 GO/AO
- Kevin Chapman-1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 SO
- Austin Wates LF-2-5, 2 SO
- Andrew Simunic 3B-0-3, 2 BB, SO-Also had a costly error
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-2-5, 2B, HR, SO-Dude went hard
- Drew Locke RF-2-4, 2B
- Ben Orloff SS-3-4
Lancaster JetHawks lost 1-0
- Tyson Perez-7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO, 8/3 GO/AO, GS 74
- Kenny Long-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Carlos Perez C-2-3
Tri-City ValleyCats lost 3-2
- Joe Bircher-6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 5/8 GO/AO
- Jeremiah Meiners-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 3/2 GO/AO
- John Neely-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 2/0 GO/AO
- Joe Sclafani SS-1-5, HR, SO
- Austin Elkins 2B-1-4, SO, 2 SB
- Tyler Heineman C-2-4
- Neiko Johnson CF-0-3, 3 SO