Very interesting night last night, and there's a lot to discuss. I'll start with the playoff situations since there hasn't been a full-season team make the playoffs since 2007, and then get to last night's big performers.
Oklahoma City has an outside shot at the playoffs, they currently are 6.5 games back but their elimination number is 7, so their hopes are dwindling quickly.
Corpus Christi is closing up their Wild Card spot in a hurry! They have a five game lead over Frisco, but Frisco won the first half, so they don't matter. San Antonio is nine games back with an Elimination number of 5. Corpus plays their next six games at home and have won their last four games. They also have a series coming up with San Antonio, so that race could close very soon.
Lancaster is in a tight race as they are tied for the wild card spot with Lake Elsinore. Lancaster has won three games in a row and are hot at the right time. Lake Elsinore has lost their last two and six of their last ten. Pretty tight race.
Lexington is six games back and on a losing streak of six games. Not really looking good. Elimination number is six.
Tri-City has a 44-17 record and has eliminated everyone in their division except one. Tonight, they could already clinch their division title with a win!
Greeneville's number is 7 and are 8.5 games back, they have a rough go of it, but this team is talented and could pull it together.
Speaking of Greeneville, Marc Wik and Rio Ruiz hit their first professional home runs last night in the same game. What a way to share such an occasion. Ruiz has been hitting the ball hard, but a lot of them have been right at people. He's flirting with that C+/B- line, but if he hits a few more of those, he could lock himself into a B-. In that same game, Terrell Joyce hit his 7th HR of the season and made it his fifth straight night with two hits.
Bobby Doran and Michael Foltynewicz also shared a nice achievement, but they weren't on the same team in the same game. They both struck out ten. That makes three straight starts for Folty where he hasn't allowed an earned run. Doran was sitting in the low 90's for this start but was hitting his spots well. He didn't pitch deep, but was effective. My Lexington feed wouldn't work, so I can't tell you anything about him, but it's obvious he was dealing.
Lastly, I have to mention Erik Castro. It's not everyday you hit a home run, but it's even rarer to hit two. To make it a little more special for him, one of those home runs was a Grand Slam!
Oklahoma City RedHawks lost 4-1
- Rudy Owens-6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 7/4 GO/AO, 94 pitches-Improvement
- Enerio Del Rosario-1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR
- Garrett Mock-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Brad Snyder CF-2-4, 2 2B
- Matt Dominguez 3B-3-4
- Matt Downs 1B-0-4, 3 SO
Corpus Christi Hooks won 7-1
- Bobby Doran-5 1/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 SO, 2/1 GO/AO, 103 pitches
- Alex Sogard-2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO
- Robbie Grossman CF-2-4, 2B, HR, BB
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-0-2, 3 BB, 2 SO
- Drew Locke DH-0-2, 2 BB, SO
- Austin Wates LF-2-4, 3B, 2 SO
- Chris Wallace C-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
Lancaster JetHawks won 13-6
- Nicholas Tropeano-7 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 6/5 GO/AO
- Kenny Long-1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO-Jorge De Leon allowed the runner to score
- Delino DeShields Jr. 2B-2-4, 3B, BB, SO, SB-He's heating up in the Cal League
- Jiovanni Mier SS-2-5, 2B, SO
- Domingo Santana RF-3-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Telvin Nash DH-1-5, 3 SO
- Erik Castro 1B-3-5, 2B, 2 HR, SO-1 HR was a Grand Slam
Lexington Legends lost 3-1 (11 Innings)
- Michael Foltynewicz-6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 SO, 4/3 GO/AO
- Murilo Gouvea-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Dayan Diaz-2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 SO
- Thomas Shirley-1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
- Jordan Kreke 3B-2-5, 2 SO
- Zachary Johnson 1B-2-5, 2B
- Justin Gominsky CF-0-4, 3 SO
Tri-City ValleyCats won 5-2
- Juri Perez-6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR, 5/2 GO/AO
- Jeremiah Meiners-3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO, 3/1 GO/AO
- Preston Tucker RF-1-3, 2 BB, OF Assist
- Jesse Wierzbicki 1B-3-5, SO, SB
- Jean Batista DH-1-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Ryan Dineen 3B-1-2, 2 BB
Greeneville Astros lost 7-5
- Francis Ramirez-3 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 2 HR, 4/0 GO/AO-Ouch
- Andrew Walter-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 SO
- Joseph Musgrove-2 2/3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 2/1 GO/AO
- Marc Wik RF-1-5, HR, 3 SO-First pro home run
- Jose Fernandez SS-0-2, 3 BB, SO
- Rio Ruiz 3B-1-5, HR, 2 SO-First pro home run
- Terrell Joyce LF-2-3, HR, 2 BB, SO
- James Howick 2B-2-4
GCL Astros: PPD
DSL Astros lost 3-1
- Javier Saucedo-6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 7/2 GO/AO
- Erick Hurtado-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO, 3/1 GO/AO
- Luis Reynoso SS-1-3, 2 BB, SB