Remember that article I posted from Baseball America that named the Corpus Christi Hooks as a top 10 team in all of minor league baseball pre-season? Let's check in how that's going.
The Hooks are 13-19 and tied for 7th in the Texas League overall and in 3rd place in their division. Not exactly dominating the way they were expected to. In fact, thanks to last nights win, they are 1-9 in their last ten games. This is a team that's young and full of talent, but guess what? Young talent is expected to struggle at times as they develop. This team is going to have it's ups and downs all season and if any last night's total erruption at the plate (17 runs) is any indication, we are about to see an up swing.
Most of their struggles have to be placed on the the pitching staff as they've surrendered the most home runs in the league and one of the worse ERA's. Although, the offense isn't void of blame. While the team overall has been one of the best in plate discipline, they haven't been getting enough base hits and haven't exactly hit for a lot of power. Not a good combination.
Who's performance last night help mitigate those issues last night? Well, Ross Seaton pitched efficiently and the top half of the batting order either drew a ton of walks (Singleton and Barnes) or picked up multiple hits (Wates, Goebbert, and Martinez). Singleton also launched his fourth HR of the season.
Seaton is an interesting case. Seaton either pitches efficiently and goes fairly deep into a game with low strikeouts, or he picks up good strikeout numbers and leaves in the 5th inning. He really struggles to find that time when he can attack a hitter and try to strike him out. He either tries to strike them all out, or rely almost exclusively on the defense behind him. Can someone teach him a little balance in his life?
Edited to include Game Score for starting pitchers
Oklahoma City RedHawks lost 4-1
- Jarred Cosart-6 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 5/4 GO/AO, 99 pitches-Hit 100 MPH, GS: 39
- Adalberto Flores-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Juan Abreu-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Fernando Martinez RF-1-3, 2B, BB
- Justin Ruggiano CF-1-4, 2B, SB
- Mike Hessman DH-2-3, BB, SO
Corpus Christi Hooks won 17-3
- Ross Seaton-7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 8/7 GO/AO, 90 pitches, GS: 67
- Josh Zeid-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Austin Wates LF-3-5, 3B, BB
- Jake Goebbert RF-3-5, 2B, BB
- Jose Martinez 2B-2-6, 2B
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-1-3, HR, 3 BB
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-2, 4 BB
- Ryan McCurdy C-2-4, 2B, BB
Lancaster JetHawks lost 3-2
- Ruben Alaniz-8 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 10/2 GO/AO, GS: 64
- Pat Urckfitz-1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Enrique Hernandez 2B-1-4, 2B, SO
- Telvin Nash DH-1-4, 2B, SO
- Erik Castro 1B-1-4, 2B, SO
- Adam Bailey LF-0-1, 2 BB
Lexington Legends won 2-1
- Luis Cruz-6 IP, 4 H,1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 10/3 GO/AO, GS: 64
- Carlos Quevedo-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 SO, 2/2 GO/AO
- Jason Chowning-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jordan Scott CF-1-4, 2B, SO
- John Hinson 3B-2-4
- Roberto Pena C-2-4