Last night was rough for Houston. Just no other way to put it. But, the good news is that the minor league affiliates pulled off a sweep for the night!
Crazy right? But, that's not the craziest part, I'm going to highlight Brett Wallace! I've been down on this guy lately mostly because he disappointed me so much last season, but he's been pretty good lately. Heck, I was even down on his recent performance because he was on a west coast road trip to these offensive ball parks. The road trip included Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, and Reno who are 1st, 3rd, and 4th respectively in HR factors in the PCL. Which explains his astronomical OPS of 1.062 over his last ten games. He's blasted three home runs in that span, but the good news is that one was last night at home.
I was very surprised to see that he's hit the same amount of home runs at as on the road. Why was I surprised? He's had more at bats away from home and OkC is the most suppressive HR environment in the PCL. So, his 8 HR total is much better than I really thought it was. His OPS on the season is still bad for his position (.761), but it's improving. He's been unlucky at home with a .271 BABIP so perhaps that pedestrian .261 average will creep up. That and he needs to draw more walks to fit in with this organization. His BB% is actually the lowest its been since his short stint in AA in the 2008 season. His k% is also the highest it's ever been in the minors.
Game Scores added 9:20 a.m.
Oklahoma City RedHawks won 7-2
- Brian Bass-6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 7/6 GO/AO, 98 pitches GS: 63
- Jose Valdez-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 2/1 GO/AO
- Brett Wallace 3B-1-3, HR, BB, SO
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-2-3, SO
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-4, SO, 2 SB
- Carlos Corporan C-1-3, 2B, BB, SO
- Angel Sanchez 2B-1-1, HR, BB
Corpus Christi Hooks won 3-2
- Ross Seaton-6 2/3 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 11/4 GO/AO, 102 pitches GS: 49
- Josh Zeid-1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jason Stoffel-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Austin Wates CF-1-2, BB, 2 SB
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-1-4, HR, SO-First HR off of a lefty in two years
- Jake Goebbert LF-1-4, 2B, SO
Lancaster JetHawks won 4-3
- Ruben Alaniz-8 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 11/6 GO/AO GS: 63
- Andrew Robinson-0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
- Kirk Clark-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 SO, 2/1 GO/AO
- Alex Todd SS-1-2, 2B, 3 BB, SB-Nice!
- George Springer CF-1-5, 3 SO, SB
- Erik Castro DH-2-4, HR, BB, SO
- Rafael Valenzuela 1B-1-4, 2B, SO
Lexington Legends won 6-1