There's not a whole lot to choose from in highlights from yesterday, with it being a pretty crappy day for most prospects. The ones deserving of it have been highlighted in the past few weeks or are just too old for their level to to get too excited about quite yet. And yes, I'm looking at Matt Duffy on this one, I want him moved to C.C. at some point so I can just figure it out! Luis Ordosgoitti pitched really well and he could get a highlight, but I've got bigger plans for him that will come later.
Instead, we're going to look at the roster situation in Corpus. With the release of J.C. Thompson and T.J. Steele to go along with the promotion of Brandon Barnes to replace Justin Ruggiano in OkC, the roster is a bit short. Brandon Wikoff and Henry Villar were activated to fill two of those spots, but they don't help the issue of losing two OFers. The roster stands at 24 (Chris Hicks is number 25 but has been on the DL almost all season) and only Jake Goebbert and Austin Wates are listed as OFers. The numbers are split evenly between position players and pitchers and with several of the bullpen arms capable of pitching several innings, they are good there. The issue is having three catchers that only play catcher and two OFers.
The obvious answer is to just promote Adam Bailey who deserves it, or George Springer to generate some excitement. You would have thought that would have happened by now though. Unless they are waiting for the JetHawks to return home from their road trip so he can pack everything up in less of rush. But, Lancaster is in a battle for the first half championship in their division which plays to the goal of creating a winning environment throughout the season. Taking Bailey or Springer damages that as they are both big hitters for that lineup.
It looks like they are going to go with what they've got for the time being though. Andy Simunic and Jonathan Singleton are capable of playing in the OF, with Singleton limited to LF and Simunic capable of LF and RF. So, they have options and aren't struggling to fill positions in the field. But, with an open roster spot and an obvious need as neither guy is in their natural position out there, it seems obvious to fill the void. At this point, I wouldn't rule out a minor league free agent coming in who is older and can hit to help out this roster that has struggled more that people expected this season.
EDIT: Hat tip to Bryan at Astros County for pointing out the roster crunch at OkC this morning on twitter. They stand at 23 with Ben Bass and Galarraga still not added and the ML roster needing to send one more down as well to get back to 25. So, the roster at OkC will be at 26 and someone will need to be sent to CC or released. They have too many pitchers so it's likely a pitcher gets sent to CC but that still doesn't solve the OF problem.
Game Scores added.
Oklahoma City RedHawks lost 11-9
- Aneury Rodriguez-3 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/AO, 73 pitches, GS 15
- Sergio Perez-3 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 2/3 GO/AO, 52 pitches
- Brad Snyder RF-1-4, 2B, BB
- Angel Sanchez SS-1-2, HR, BB
- Carlos Corporan PH-1-1, 2B
- Scott Moore 3B-2-5, 2 SO
- Brett Wallace 1B-1-5, 3 SO
- Brian Bixler 2B, SS-3-5, SO
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-5, 2 SO
Corpus Christi Hooks lost 3-2
- Jake Buchanan-7 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO, 8/1 GO/AO, 75 pitches, GS 58
- Arcenio Leon-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO
- Jason Stoffel-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jose Martinez 2B-2-4, SO
- Brandon Wikoff 3B-2-3, BB, SB-He's baaaacccckkkk
Lancaster JetHawks lost 8-5
- Tyson Perez-7 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 2 HR, 5/3 GO/AO, GS 43
- Brian Streilein-0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO-Yep, real stat line
- Brad Dydalewicz-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Ben Orloff SS-2-5
- George Springer CF-1-5, 3B, 2 SO-He has hit six triples
- Adam Bailey LF-1-4, 2B
- Domingo Santana RF-2-4, 2B, HR, SO-Nine home runs
- Erik Castro 1B-2-3, 2B, BB, SO
- Telvin Nash DH-0-3, BB, 3 SO-It's just getting worse
- Ben Heath C-0-4, 4 SO-That's bad
Lexington Legends won 4-3 (10th inning)
- Luis Ordosgoitti-7 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO, 11/3 GO/AO, GS 62-Two good starts in a row
- Carlos Quevedo-3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 4/1 GO/AO
- Delino DeShields Jr. 2B-2-4, BB
- Jordan Scott CF-2-5, SO
- Matt Duffy 3B-1-4, HR, SO-Eight bombs
- Chris Epps LF-2-4, 2B