Opening day is in the books for the top three Astros affiliates, but the Lexington Legends will have to wait one more day because of a rainout. Each level had their own bit of excitement that ranged from attempted late game comebacks to shutouts. But, the real story is the heroic swing of George Springer. But, more on that later.
The Oklahoma City Redhawks played from behind for most of the game but managed to crawl back in during the bottom of the ninth, but fell short with bases loaded when Brett Wallace grounded into a double play. It truly was a disappointing game for Brick as he left ten baserunners on base. Paul Clemens didn't pitch an outstanding game, but his season debut was definitely solid.
Corpus Christi showed exactly why Baseball America ranked them the number eight minor league team yesterday. The Hooks escaped a couple close calls with runners on third with just one out, but managed to escape unscathed. One of many of man loves, Austin Wates, went 3-5 with a double and a triple which makes me want him to workout as a solid center fielder even more.
But, like I said, George Springer stole the show with one swing. In the sixth inning, the Jethawks were down four runs with the bases loaded and two outs, Springer strides to the plate. Springer worked the count full, but partly due to two big, long swings that he whiffed with, he connected and sent the ball out of the park. I was pretty juiced listening to the broadcast. It was obvious what he wanted in that at-bat, and at this level he can get away with it because of his talent. But, as he matures, he's going to have to harness that swing a bit more. But, man that was an exciting play.
Oh, and have a happy Opening Day!
Oklahoma City Redhawks lost 4-3
- Paul Clemens-6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 2 HR, 9/2 GO/AO
- Mickey Storey-2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 2/2 GO/AO
- Angel Sanchez SS-1-4, 2B
- Fernando Martinez LF-3-4, 2B, BB
- Mike Hessman 1B-2-4, HR, BB, 2 SO
- Brett Wallace 3B-0-5, 10 LOB....terrible
- Justin Ruggiano PH, CF-0-0, 2 BB
Corpus Christi won 9-0
- Jarred Cosart-4 1/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 SO, 2/4 GO/AO
- Erick Abreu-2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO, 0/3 GO/AO
- Chris Hicks-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 6/0 GO/AO
- Jonathan Villar SS-2-5, 2B, SO, 2 SB
- Austin Wates LF-3-5, 2B, 3B
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-0-3, 2 SO
- Brandon Barnes CF-2-4
- TJ Steele RF-2-4, 3B, SO
- Jose Martinez 2B-0-2, 2 BB, SO
- Chris Wallace C-0-4, 2 SO
Lancaster JetHawks lost 9-7
- David Martinez-4 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2 HR, 7/2 GO/AO
- Brian Streilein-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 2/1 GO/AO
- Enrique Hernandez 2B-2-5, 2B, Error
- George Springer CF-2-4, HR, SO
- Telvin Nash LF-2-4, HR, BB
- Domingo Santana RF-0-4, 2 SO
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-2-4, 2B, SO