I miss you Hunter Pence, but Singleton is starting to let the pain go away
Let's talk Jonathan Singleton. Big guy, left handed bat, good plate discipline, loads of potential. Whats not to love? I had question marks about him when he was brought over in the trade for Pence last summer, not because I didn't think he could hit, but I was weary of his dropping power numbers. I wasn't buying the emphasis on the pitcher's league he was playing in. Did I like him as a prospect? Of course I did. Did I want him? Of course I did. I liked the upside, I was just apprehensive on his floor.
Fast forward to now. He's drawing lots of walks, striking out a little too much (not alarming though) and has .526 SLG% with just one home run. That's an impressive feat with just one home run. It's because he's hitting a lot of doubles. I've seen some people on twitter talking about his lack of home runs. It's only a matter of time before a 20 year old puts on the rest of his muscle mass and pushes those doubles a little farther and over the fence. My questions have been put to rest this season.
It's nice to have a back-up plan though. The guy behind him in the pecking order, Telvin Nash, has eight home runs as of last night. He's murdering the ball. But, he's striking out even more and plays in Lancaster. I think Nash has more power, but his bat is not on the same level as Singleton, because of Singletons better ability to make solid contact consistently.
Oklahoma City lost 3-2
- Dallas Keuchel-7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 11/6 GO/AO, 110 Pitches-Not his best performance, but still not a bad start
- Juan Abreu-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1/1 Go/AO, 29 Pitches-Seems to be getting his control...under control?
- Brett Wallace 3B-1-4, HR
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-3-4, 2B, SO, 2 SB
- Landon Powell C-1-2, 2B, BB
Corpus Christi won 9-3
- Erick Abreu-4 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 2/3 GO/AO
- Henry Villar-4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO
- Kevin Chapman-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Austin Wates LF-2-5, SO
- Jake Goebbert RF-2-5, 2B, 2 SO
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-2-4, 2 2B, BB, SO, SB
- Brandon Barnes CF-1-2, HR, BB
- Kody Hinze DH-1-4, 3 SO
- Jordan Kreke 2B-2-3, 2B, BB, SB
- Andrew Simunic 3B-2-4, SB
Lancaster won 8-4
- Zachary Grimmett-5 1/3 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO, 5/2 GO/AO
- Brian Streilein-2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO, 2/0 GO/AO
- Kirk Clark-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Ben Orloff 2B-1-4, 2B, SO
- Jiovanni Mier SS-1-5, 3B, SO
- George Springer CF-0-5, 5 SO-Platinum Sombero
- Telvin Nash LF-1-2, HR, 3 BB, SO-Great game
- Erik Castro 1B-1-4, 3B, BB
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-2-4, 3B, SO, SB
- Adam Bailey RF-3-4
- Rene Garcia C-4-4, 2B