HOUSTON - JUNE 16: Pitcher Jordan Lyles #41 of the Houston Astros throws against the PIttsburgh Pirates in the first innin> at Minute Maid Park on June 16, 2011 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)
I made it out to the double header last night between the Oklahoma City RedHawks and the Nashville Sounds. I arrived in the 3rd inning of game one, and left sometime during the second game (wife had to get up for work this morning). I had a great time, who doesn't at a Thirsty Thursday's promotion? It's always great to meet up with a fellow blogger, so shout out to Astros County, it was great seeing you again.
Thoughts on the game are brief. Lyles was up to 93 with most of his fastballs according to Henry Sosa who was charting the games. Nice guy by the way. Don't have velocity readings on anyone else, but I will say Xavier Cedeno gets a nice pop when his fastball hits the mitt. Scott Moore is pretty heavy footed at 3B.
The big story is the continued success of Nick Tropeano though. This guy dominated, yet again last night. You can read his stat line below, but I'm going to highlight his stats through his 19 innings of work this season. His ERA of 0.47 is very impressive, but as we know, it isn't the most reliable stat. What I find more impressive is a FIP of 1.86. What about a 12.79 K/9? What about a 2.37 BB/9? Not enough for ya? How about his ability to induce groundballs 54% of the time? Still not impressed? You think he's getting lucky? How about that BABIP of .316!
If there is any pitching prospect movement in the near future, Tropeano has to be involved. I don't think you move him yet, let him build confidence and sustain this, but he has to be promoted eventually.
Oklahoma City RedHawks won 4-3
- Jordan Lyles-5 2/3 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO, 6/3 GO/AO, 93 Pitches
- Xavier Cedeno-1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0/1 GO/AO, 30 Pitches
- Brian Bixler 2B-3-4, 2B, SO
- Brad Snyder RF-2-3, 2B
Oklahoma City RedHawks won 4-2
- Sergio Perez-2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 2/0 GO/AO, 43 Pitches
- Mickey Storey-3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 1/2 GO/AO, 54 Pitches
- Fernando Abad-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 SO, 1/0 GO/AO, 31 Pitches
- Scott Moore 3B-1-2, 3B, BB, SO
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-2-3, HR, SB
- Carlos Corporan 2B-1-2, 2B, BB, SO
Corpus Christi Hooks lost 10-0
- Jose Cisnero-4 2/3 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 5/1 GO/AO, 102 Pitches
- Adalberto Flores-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1/0 GO/AO, 12 Pitches
Austin Wates LF-0-3, BB, 3 SO, SB
- Jonathan Singleton 1B-1-2, 2 BB
- Brandon Barnes CF-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
Lancaster Jethawks lost 8-1
- Bobby Doran-6 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO, 6/4 GO/AO
- Domingo Santana RF-1-4, 3B, 2 SO
Lexington Legends won 2-0
- Nicholas Tropeano-8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 SO, 8/2 GO/AO
- Jason Chowning-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Alex Todd SS-3-4, SO
- Roberto Pena C-2-3, 2B, BB