One of my favorite pitchers in the system is Mike Foltynewicz. Has he put up good numbers in his career? Nope! But, I'm a believer in his stuff and that he'll eventually start producing. He is a cold weather pitcher so it takes him a little longer to develop, but reports on his stuff still say he has potential. A lot of readers point to Tanner Bushue as to why they don't buy that he's a cold weather guy and that he won't develop. Let's separate these two a bit.
Tanner Bushue has never really shown much of anything at all in professional ball. He's a flyball pitcher with sub-par velocity that still hasn't come around and a curveball that is impressive. He also struggles to stay healthy.
Folty has a handful of games where he racked up strikeouts and dominated a line-up. He has ability to induce groundballs and has a fastball that still gets into the mid-90s. Secondary stuff are still lagging and doesn't have the curveball of Bushue, but they show potential. I would even say that Folty's changeup is better.
So lets recap! Ability to dominate: Folty Groundball tendencies: Folty Fastball: Folty Changeup: Folty Breaking ball: Bushue Health: Folty
Folty still has lots of markers for success moving forward, and yesterday morning was a step in that direction. He had a great game that featured him striking out eight, walking two, and allowing three hits in six innings. One of those walks and one of those hits were by Rick Ankiel. Just consider that.
Oklahoma City lost 7-6
- Aneury Rodriguez-4 2/3 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 7 SO, 3/1 GO/AO
- Sergio Perez-1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO, 3/0 GO/AO
- Fernando Abad-2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Juan Abreu-2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR
- JB Shuck CF-2-5, 3B, SO
- Jed Lowrie SS-2-3, BB
- Fernando Martinez LF-2-5
- Brett Wallace 1B-1-5, 2B, CS
- Scott Moore 3B-4-5, 2 2B
- Collin DeLome RF-1-4, 2B, BB, SO
Corpus Christi Hooks were off
Lancaster JetHawks lost 6-5
- Ruben Alaniz-6 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 6/4 GO/AO
- Alex Sogard-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Jorge De Leon-1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO
- Telvin Nash 1B-1-4, 3 SO-There they are...
- Ben Heath DH-1-4, 3 SO
- Daniel Adamson LF-1-4, HR, 3 SO
Lexington Legends won 3-0
- Michael Foltynewicz-6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 SO, 5/4 GO/AO
- Murilo Gouvea-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3/1 GO/AO
- Dayan Diaz-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 SO
- Zachary Johnson DH-2-4, 2B
- Jordan Scott LF-1-3, BB, SB
- Drew Muren CF-0-2, 2 BB, SB