Snake Diggity has done a great job giving us reviews of the Astros' four short-season teams. The following list represents my take on the top ten position player prospects from these teams. The focus is mostly, though not completely, on offense, though positional considerations are taken into account as well.
1. George Springer (CF), DOB 9-89. Of course he is #1.
2. Ariel Ovando (OF), 9-93. The K's are a concern (51 in 170 AB's), but the power is there (15 XBH). .235/.283/.365.
3. Juan Santana (SS), 8-94. Some of you might dispute this high ranking, but he has good plate discipline, with some promising power sprinkled in. .274/.350/.363. Strikes out less than 1 in 10 AB's (I wish our more advanced middle-infield prospects Villar, DeShields, and Mier could learn to do the same). And, he just turned 17!
4. Teoscar Hernandez (OF), 10-92. Another DSL guy, but I love the results - 27 XBH in 226 AB, decent walks, and not too many K's. .274/.360/.487.
5. Jordan Scott (OF), 9-91. Hits for high average, just needs to add some power. Has had a few looks at CF - playing that position adequately would increase his value significantly. .323/.380./.406.
6. Chase Davidson (1B), 1-90. Yes, the K's are a concern, and the Appy League numbers can be deceptive, but he had 26 XBH in 161 AB for Greeneville. .327/.417/.620.
7. Jean Carlos Batista (SS/2B/3B), 11-91. Good flashes of power for a middle infielder, but his 7/38 BB/K totals at two levels will need to be improved. 265/.288/.365.
8. Brandon Meredith (OF), 12-89. We didn't get a great look at him this year, with only 119 AB. He needs to cut down on K's, but he does show good patience and potential for moderate power. .244/.371/.395.
9. Matt Duffy (3B), 2-89. A consistent if unspectacular performer at Tri-City. He will need to have a power breakthrough next year. .298/.370/.417.
10. Joshua Magee (2B), 10-91. His last third of the season was impressive. Is this surge an indicator of things to come? If not, he doesn't belong on this list. If so, you could certainly argue that he should be higher. .283/.346/.364.
Also considered: Genoves (C), Reynolds (CF), Fernandez (SS), Valenzuela (1B/3B).