HOUSTON - SEPTEMBER 04: Third baseman Jimmy Paredes #38 of the Houston Astos makes a backhand play against the Milwaukee Brewers at Minute Maid Park on September 4, 2011 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)
Sorry for getting this posted so late, but it's Labor Day and I slept in! Get off me! You did too, probably!
There's not a whole lot to highlight from yesterday with the pitching being a little below parr. Jarred Cosart got lit up in his last start of the season, so I'm not even going to dig into that. But I will talk a little about the Mier/Meyer combo in Lancaster.
Jiovanni Mier is closing out the season in a strong way and closing in on a .230 average despite flip-flopping over the Mendoza line just a few weeks ago. His power had disappeared in Lancaster which is extremely odd but he still is pretty good at drawing walks, which is definitely a good sign. It's just that average that holds back his OBP. Despite his poor average, his walk rate isn't terrible which is close to .332 in Lancaster. Next year will be a big year for him and he'll have to improve his strikeout rate and average to maintain his prospect status.
Jonathan Meyer is in a similar situation. His walk rate is solid, his strikeout rate is too high, and his average isn't great but it is better than Mier. His power is also decent. He hasn't been overly boosted in the power department in Lancaster either with equal home run totals in his home/away splits. But, he's hit a few more doubles at home so his power is slightly inflated at home. In my opinion, he has shown significant improvement this season in all areas of his game except for the strikeout rate, and is a legitimate 3B prospect. He's not a big prospect but definitely someone to keep an eye on as he's improving as a young player should. His plus defense is always nice too!
Oklahoma City lost 3-2
- Ryan Rowland-Smith-6 2/3 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO,1 HR, 7/5 GO/AO
- Xavier Cedeno-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Drew Locke RF-1-3, HR, SO
Corpus Christi lost 10-3
- Jarred Cosart-4 IP 8 H, 10 R, 9 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO, 4 HR, 4/3 GO/AO
- Henry Villar-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 SO, 4/1 GO/AO
- Jason Stoffel-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Brandon Barnes CF-3-4, PO
- Chris Wallace C-0-2, 2 BB
- Adam Bailey LF-2-4, HR
- Jose Carlos Thompson 2B-0-4, 4 SO
Lancaster won 11-10
- Wes Musick-3 2/3 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO,1 HR, 3/3 GO/AO
- Robby Doran-4 2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 6/4 GO/AO
- Jio Mier SS-2-4, 3B
- Austin Wates CF-2-5, 2B, SO
- Jonathan Meyer 3B-2-4, HR, BB-I don't care what you guys think, I'm high on this guy still!
- Andrew Simunic 2B-2-5, SO
- Federico Hernandez C-2-4, 2 HR, SO
- Dan Adamson LF-1-4, HR, SO
Tri-City lost 11-3
- Kyle Hallock-2 1/3 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR
- Dayan Diaz-3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 5/1 GO/AO
- Drew Muren CF-2-5, SO
- Zach Johnson 1B-0-2, 2 BB, SO
- Chris Epps RF-0-2, 2 BB
- Jordan Scott LF-2-3, 3B, BB, SB