So boys and girls, this is the last day before Brooks returns, and (gasp) George Springer debuts. Or rather he might debut tonight. He will arrive in Troy this afternoon, but whether he will be in the starting lineup, is something yet to be announced. Let's have a quick gander at what our recent first round picks have done in short-season ball after being drafted.
Delino DeShields went .313/.356/.433 in 16 Greeneville games, swiping five bases after a couple of games in the Gulf Coast League. Jiovanni Mier, in signficantly more playing time in the Appalachian League posted an .864 OPS and wowed scouts enough to debut at #74 on Baseball America's prospect list. Jason Castro, the year before like Springer started in Tri-City, showing a keen eye (13.6% BB rate). The catcher was #51 prior to the 2009 season.
This brings me to my point, which is, will Springer sneak into Baseball America's top 100 prospect list for 2012, and in your opinion does he deserve to? Right after the draft I remember Keith Law being asked what draftees would make it into his top 100 and Springer was not one mentioned. Should we care if he isn't? How much should we read into prospect lists? Does it say anything about Springer's talent if he is not there, or does it speak more about how much pro-ball he has to play until he reaches the majors? Post your thoughts below.
More to follow after the jump.
Oklahoma City lost 4-0 to the Iowa Cubs
- Lucas Harrell: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 11/3 GO/FO - good ground out/fly out ratio. 2.03 ERA.
- Xavier Cedeno: 2/3 IP, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO
- Brett Wallace 1B: 1-3, 2B, BB, K - where is his power?
- Anderson Hernandez SS: 2-4 - 2012 Houston Astros opening day shortstop.
- Erik Abreu: 6 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 3-5 GO/FO - not as good as previous outing.
- Arcenio Leon: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, BB, K, 5-0 GO/FO
- Brandon Wikoff SS: 2-2, 3 BB
- Jonathan Gaston RF: 2-4, 2B, K - two outfield assists.
- Brian Esposito C: 2-4, 2B - moving up to that Mendoza line.
- Luis Cruz: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 5/1 GO/FO - two home runs in the third inning.
- Gabriel Garcia: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, BB, K, 3-4 GO/FO
- Domingo Santana RF: 1-4, HR, K - another home run.
- Telvin Nash 1B: 2-3, BB
- Mike Kvasnicka 3B: 2-4
- Jamaine Cotton: 3 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO
- Dayan Diaz: 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, BB, 4 K, 4/3 GO/FO
- Bubby Williams C: 2-4, 3B, HR, K
- Neiko Johnson LF: 2-5 K
- Juri Perez: 4 1/3 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 4 K, 2/2 GO/FO
- Garrett Bullock: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, BB, 4/1 GO/FO
- Miles Hamblin C: 1-3, 3B
- Jake Healey SS: 1-3, 2B, 2 K