What's up Ovando fans? Have you heard what happened last night? Have you checked Greeneville's box score? The man hit a home run! It's only his second of the season, but the fact is that his bat is coming around with more doubles and multi-hit games.
Jose Altuve Award: Rafael Valenzuela
Most of you probably don't know much about Rafy since he was an undrafted free-agent last season and will turn 24 later this year. He's athletic and showed some good hitting in the GCL and in Greeneville last year. He plays both 3B and 1B for Tri-City currently. He got a late start this year because of a broken hammate bone in extended spring training and didn't get a full season assignment because he's blocked by a plethora of higher drafted 3B/1B types in Lancaster and Lexington, even though most of them don't get me excited at all (I'm looking at you Kvasnicka). This week, he went 12 for 33 and nine of those were extra base hits (seven doubles, two home runs). He also drew two walks and struck out four times. Hopefully, this year will catch the FO's eye and they'll try to challenge him and he can go on Kody Hinze type accent through the system.
Pitcher of the Week: Murilo Gouvea
Yep, I picked a reliever. Gouvea has been an interesting one to watch this year as he's been used in a more long relief role in Lexington this year without ever really getting a real chance to start or close. He has good numbers on the season but is a little older and will be 23 next month. But, what stands out is that he has a fairly projectable frame and great strikeout numbers. This week, he pitched in two games for a total of nine innings and has allowed just two hits and an unearned run. He also just allowed just one walk. While thats nice, but what's impressive? Try sixteen strikeouts on for size! Thats a heck of a number!
Well, I lied a little, one game was last Saturday, but I'm counting it for this week because it's an awesome run.
Oklahoma City lost 3-0
- Andy Van Hekken-5 2/3 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 8/5 GO/AO
- Anderson Hernandez SS-2-4, SO, 2 CS
Corpus Christi lost 8-7 (12 innings)
- Jarred Cosart-6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 15/3 GO/AO-Great groundball rate
- Jonathan Villar SS-1-6, 3 SO
- Brandon Barnes LF-3-6, 2 2B, SO
- Kody Hinze 1B-1-2, 2B, 2 BB, SO
- Adam Bailey RF-2-6, 2B, SO
- TJ Steele CF-3-6, HR, 2 SO
Lancaster lost 16-3
- Wes Musick-3 Ip, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
- Grant Hogue RF-2-5
- Erik Castro 1B-2-5, 2 B
- Jonathan Singleton DH-2-5, SO
- Andrew Simunic 2B, 3B-2-5, HR, SO
- Dan Adamson CF-1-4, 2B, BB, SO
- Federico Hernandez C-2-5, 2B, 2 SO
Tri-City won 14-3
- Jamaine Cotton-5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 5/4 GO/AO
- Travis Smink-2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 SO
- Joan Belliard-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Neiko Johnson LF-1-3, 2 BB, SO
- Justin Gominsky CF-2-3, 2 2B, BB, SB
- Matt Duffy 3B-1-4, 2B, BB
- Zach Johnson 1B-2-5, SO
- Bubby Williams DH-2-5
- Miguel Arrendell 2B-1-4, 2B, BB, SO, SB
- Jacke Healey SS-0-3, 2 BB, SO, SB
Greeneville won 7-4
- Tyson Perez-5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 3/4 GO/AO-Nice!
- Paris Shewey-1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Mattison Smith-1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
- Joshua Magee 2B-4-4, 2B, BB, CS
- Jean Carlos Batista SS-2-5, 2B, SO
- Ariel Ovando RF-2-4, 2B, HR-Boom goes the dynamite!
- Jose Monzon CF-0-1, 2 BB, SB
GCL Astros lost 7-4
- Enderson Franco-5 Ip, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 6/2 GO/AO
- Brad Dydalewicz-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Javaris Reynolds CF-2-3, 2B, SO, CS
- Wallace Gonzalez DH-1-4, 3B
- Kyle Redinger 3B-1-4, 2B