Big names=Big Power! That's just about the only way to describe yesterday. There weren't many home runs, just four, but two came from two of the biggest names in the system. JD Martinez continued his sudden power surge with a two-run bomb in the first inning of the Hooks game and the richest guy in the system, Ariel Ovando, hit his first career home run!
There's really not much more to say about JD's power surge besides, "Get him to OkC!" I don't want to make a huge fuss over a small sample size from the month of July, but a 1.395 is insane. He has five home runs and he had six in the previous three months. He's getting on base and hitting for power. He has a walk rate of 12.5%! That's huge and it makes me drool when I look at the fact that he only strikes-out in only 14% of his plate appearances. I understand sending him CC to start the season to work on hitting more home runs, I really do. In fact, I like the idea to let him do that in a league that he already was comfortable in instead of sending him to AAA to work on it and adjust. But, the adjustments are made, lets prepare him for September, afterall, we may end up in the AL West and we'll need him in left so Lee plays the DH.
Oh, Ariel Ovando! You literally made me do a fist pump in my car on my way home from work when I saw that HR in the boxscore! It's so nice to see such a big investment working out for the Astros. He's hitting consistently and hitting for some power. The only real knock on him at this point is strikeouts and injuries. But, as of now strikeouts are too small of a sample size and he was aggressively placed in a solid league for his first professional assignment. The injuries are probably overblown by the Astros being extra careful and not allowing him to play through minor ailments, they did spend over $2.5 million on him.
Oklahoma City lost 3-2
- Lucas Harrell-5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 SO, 3/3 GO/AO-Meet the most likely replacement to a pitcher being traded!
- Luis Durango CF-2-4, SB, CS
- JB Shuck LF-3-4, BB, SB
- Robinson Cancel 1B-2-4, BB, CS
- JR Towles C-1-4, HR, SO
- Ozzie Navarro 2B-2-4, 2B
Corpus Christi lost 8-3
- Jonnathan Aristil-5 1/3 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO, 2 HR, 1/4 GO/AO
- Jimmy Paredes 2B-1-5, 3B, SB, 2 SO
- JD Martinez LF-3-5, 2B, HR-Seriously?
- Kody Hinze 1B-2-4, 2B, SO
- TJ Steele DH-1-4, 2B-Cedeno is heating up!
Lancaster lost 3-2
- Robert Donovan-7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 14/4 GO/AO
- Chris Hicks-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO-His return is exciting!
- Miguel Arrendell 2B-2-4, 2 2B, SO
- Adam Bailey RF-2-4, 2 SO
Lexington won 6-2
- Carlos Quevedo-7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 8/6 GO/AO
- Jorge De Leon-2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 3/0 GO/AO
- Delino DeShields 2B-3-5, SO, PO
- Jay Austin CF-1-2, 2B, BB
- Mike Kvasnicka DH-2-5, 2B, 2 SO, CS
- Telvin Nash LF-0-3, 2 BB, SO
- Ben Orloff SS-2-4, SO
- Bryce Lane RF-1-3, 2B, BB
- Roberto Pena C-2-4, 2B
Tri-City won 8-2
- Euris Quezada-5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO, 5/4 GO/AO-Solid!
- Garrett Bullock-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Neiko Johnson LF-2-4, SB
- Justin Gominsky CF-1-3, 2 BB, SO, CS
- Zach Johnson 1B-1-4, 2B
- Brandon Meredith RF-3-4, 2B, 3B, BB, CS-I'd love to see some HRs from him, I love his bat.
- Ryan McCurdy C-3-4
- Hector Rodriguez 2B-0-4, 4 SO
- Jacke Healey SS-0-2, 2 BB, 2 SO, SB
Greeneville lost 8-5
- Tyson Perez-5 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1 HR, 6/2 GO/AO-I like it.
- Mattison Smith-2 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 Er, 0 BB, 5 SO
- Jordan Scott CF-2-3, BB, SB
- Ruben Sosa 2B-1-3, 3B
- Garen Wright LF-1-4, 3B, 2 SO
- Ariel Ovando RF-1-4, HR, SO-HELL YEAH!!!!!!
GCL Astros lost 2-1
- Enderson Franco-6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 6/7 GO/AO
- Justin Gill-1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Yonathan Mejia 2B-2-4, SO
- Justin Shults 1B-2-4
DSL Astros lost 7-5
- Luis Abad-5 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 7/1 GO/AO
- Andres Feliz-2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 5/1 GO/AO
- Jose Solano 3B-2-5, 2 SO
- Teoscar Hernandez CF-1-4, HR, BB, SB
- Mario Gonzalez 1B-1-3, 2B, BB, SO
- Thomas De La Cruz RF-1-2, 2 BB, SO