Yesterday was surely eventful! In case you missed it or out of the loop (get on twitter, it makes it easier), the domino effect of roster moves has begun! It's only a few moves but once the Texas League has their All-Star game, the rest of them will happen.
The biggest move is that Chris Wallace will make the JD Martinez jump from Lexington to Corpus! Corpus will now have a real power threat to bring in the high average and doubles power hitters ahead of him in the lineup that includes; Jose Altuve, JD Martinez, Jacob Goebbert, Jimmy Paredes, Jonathan Villar! Well, that would put him 6th in the lineup, and I doubt he hits that low. That sounds like half of a top 15 list right there!
The second move is that Jiovanni Mier is going to Lancaster! It's not as huge, and it's not exactly expected. It's not surprising since they moved Villar a few weeks ago to open up that spot and he wasn't exactly dominating either. But, this does put Mier back on track and shouldn't dampen development. Mier was ready on the defensive side of the ball just not quite ready offensively, but that's to be expected. Lancaster won't hurt him in that area. He has the discipline at the plate to be fine, he just has to make better contact.
Some lesser moves include Federico Hernandez sent to Lancaster to make room for Wallace which will probably push Jordan Comadena down. I don't think they'll demote Ben Heath or Rene Garcia. Matt Nevarez was also released which isn't surprising. His fastball just wasn't consistent and his command wasn't improving. Mike Perconte was signed to take his spot.
Oklahoma City won 5-4
- Ryan Rowland-Smith-4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 6/2 GO/AO-Good to see him get back on track
- Wesley Wright-2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- David Carpenter-1 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO-He's getting ridiculous
- Collin DeLome CF-1-4, 3B, SO
- Brian Bogusevic 1B, CF, RF-1-5, 3B, SO
- Tommy Manzella SS-2-3, HR, BB, SO
- Drew Locke RF, LF-1-4, 2B, SO
- Wladimir Sutil 2B-2-3, 2B, BB, SB, CS
- Koby Clemens PH, 1B-1-1, HR, BB
Corpus Christi lost 5-3
- Xavier Cedeno-5 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 6 SO, 2 HR, 5/3 GO/AO-Not his typical performance
- Kyle Greenwalt-2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO, 2/0 GO/AO-He looks to have gotten back on track in the pen.
- Brad Hennessey-1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Henry Villar-1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 SO, 2/1 GO/AO
- Jose Altuve 2B-2-4, SB
- Jacob Goebbert RF-1-4, 2B, 2 SO
Greeneville lost 4-3
- Chris Lee-2/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 0 SO, 1/0 GO/AO-He was on a strict pitch count, but even then, the results weren't good.
- Jermaine Cotton-4 1/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO, 7/2 GO/AO-I like this guy.
- Chase Davidson 1B-1-4, HR, HBP, CS
- Jose Vargas DH-2-4, 2B
- Ernesto Genoves C-3-5, 2B, SO
- Garen Wright RF-2-5, CS
- Jose Monzon CF-2-5, SO
GCL Astros lost 8-4
- Frederick Tiburico-6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 9/2 GO/AO
- CHris Epps RF-2-4, SO, SB, PO
DSL Astros lost 6-5
- Reymin Guduan-3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
- Manuel Sanchez-5 IP, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 7/4 GO/AO
- Kelvin Santana-1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 SO
- Cristian Murillo CF-2-5, 2B, 2 BB, 2 SO, SB
- Thomas De La Cruz LF-3-4, 2 BB, SB, CS